Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys here is the update. I have been going to champlain for a few years now in the spring. One thing that has always been a constant was the unpredictable weather of this GREAT fishery. Well I can tell you that our first 3 days were met with temps in the 70's, no wind and lots of sun. Now for the fishing. If you have never been to Champlain, you would do yourself a favor by making atleast 1 trip there. It is one of the most beautiful lakes I fish at. We ran into more 4lb smallies then I have ever seen. The "wolf" packs that they talk about were around and once you found them you would be in for a show. These spring fish were acrobats extrordanaire and professionals at throwing hooks. This was my best trip yet. The largest Smallie taken between 7 of us was a 22" beauty that was the FATTEST smallie I have ever seen. It easily outweighed my 24 inch fish that I caught here on st clair. There was an abundance of 20's caught as well. All the fish were pre spawn fish holding in 6-9 foot of water and hit Wacky rigged senko's and jerk baits ripped through the water. I can tell you my arms are sore and my hands are torn up, This is a Good Thing.

Gregg

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Greggm,
I think I understand that the New York side of the lake is closed like Michigan, while the Vermont side of the lake doesn't have a closed season. Could you clarify that for me please? What are the seasons on Champlain? Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Fishing is open c&r on the vermont side and closed until 2nd sat. in june in New York. I am not sure if this will change with the new recipricol license that Ny and VT will put into effect next year. We did no fishing on the Ny side. It was deffinately worth the trip.

Gregg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your killin' me!! Man, that sounds like a sweet trip. I am doing a float trip on the Great Miami River on Sunday. This time of year is great smallie fishin, hope its like your trip!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daytonian,

The trip was a lot of fun. I think for my Champlain trips I will have to remove the name Fishless from my boat. Now if I can only find summer smallies on st clair.

G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.