Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i am planning to go camping this weekend in Kalkaska on Pickeral lake. I have heard of pike, bass, perch, etc. but i dont know any particular area to go or what to use. i wont have a boat so it will be only shore fishing. if anyone knows that lake or any lake around that area, please respond asap.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know of a Pickeral lake In Newaygo Co .It has , I think 3 lakes in a chain.If same lake no acess on shore ..If same lake ,south east side by camp ground ,in the lilly pads ..top water baits ,spinner baits.pike are heavy in there plus large m..hope this is same lake...Enjoy...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry to say this, but you probably wont do to good from shore (been there done that). Its to shallow and you wont be able to get out far enough. The best spot is if your standing at the boat launch will be across and to your right. I believe its the NW? corner that where the hole is (no compass). There are some cattails to your right that you might be able to get a bass or two out of. Never tried. I actually haven't been there in about 3 years so it might have changed. Dawn or dusk should be your best bet. I've caught a few walleye's trolling rapella's, but since you don't have a boat I would go to the Manistee River and fish. You can walk most of it. You'll pass a fair spot on your way in on M72 look for Shell Haven Canoe Rental or a better spot is off 612. I suggest renting a canoe, gab a pole and a brew and have fun. If you want to rent a canoe, I know its a little more of a cruise, but go to Manton (take 131 S out of Kalkaska about 20 miles). The river is deeper there and there are a lot more high banks where you can stop for a swim and enjoy the day. I think it's called Chippewa Landing, its on east side of 131 look for a canoe on the side of the road. I would stay away from the Au Sable to shallow for both canoeing and fishing out of Grayling. I'll be up there this myself this weekend. I have a place in Kalkaska on Log Lake. You can always do what I'm doing this weekend, bring the clubs and not the poles. The weather is suppose to be great. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info. Have a good weekend.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check in at Jack's Sport Shop in Kalkaska for help.

Pickerel Lake is a walleye, bass, and pike lake, panfish, too. There are good dropoffs all over the lake, with good weedy shallow areas in the south and north ends as well as east and west.

Good luck and don't catch 'em all!

Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
One thing I would add is to rent a small boat or canoe :)) It's about 100 acres in size and you do need to move away from the ramp, as "D" pointed out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts