Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to kalkaska, never been around that area, any good fishing tips you all could give me>?
last camping trip of the year, neeeed fish!!!
we are staying on Pickeral lake near the orv trails.
if anyone could help, please do, all i want is panfish, actual, all i want is a fish......
no boat, dont know the lakes, so shore fishing.,
thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't fished Kalkaska or the lake you mentioned, but once the cooler nights set in, panfish in shallower water like gills can get slower and finicky. Horizontal bobbers with small ice fishing jigs beneath them tipped with waxworms produce well for me. Find yourself bobbers that have enough weight that you don't need to add any splitshot so that the slightest hit will pull the bobber slightly in to the vertical position, then set the hook. Just my two cents. Good luck and report when you return!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Check out the website http://www.fishweb.com....I believe the guy who runs the site, David Gabrish (email address: [email protected]) has lived on Pickerel Lake for many years and could probably give you info. You can also see a map of the lake on this site...just go to Fish and then Inland Lake Maps..I'm sure Pickerel Lake is on the list.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
187 Posts
It tuff fishing from shore on that lake, from what I remember. I've camped there a few times, but its been about 5 years. For shore fishing your better of going to the Manastee river. There is a good spot in the Bear Lake camp ground that backs up to the river (Off of M72 by Shell Haven Canoe livery). If your determined to stay where your at. From the launch go to your right about 1/2 way around the lake. There is a hole out there that you might beable to cast into from shore.
Good luck
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts