Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Fellow LSCN'er,

I wanted to let you know about an issue that is very important to me. In January of 2003, Toronto closed its last landfill, and now sends all of its trash to landfills around Michigan. Over 6 million cubic tons of trash from Canada ends up in Michigan landfills each year. Recently, the Toronto city council approved a contract to ship thousands of tons of raw sewage to Michigan for disposal.

That's why I've joined U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow's fight to stop Canadian trash now! Under an existing international agreement, the U.S. government has the power to stop these shipments -- but only if the EPA enforces the treaty. I've signed an online petition to urge the new EPA Administrator to begin enforcing the treaty immediately and stop the Canadian trash and sewage sludge at the border.

You can sign the online petition by visiting Senator Stabenow's website at http://stabenow.senate.gov/stoptrash. I hope you'll take a moment and join me in this fight to protect our state from foreign trash and sewage.

======================================================

Please encourage your friends and family to visit http://stabenow.senate.gov/stoptrash and sign the online petition today!

Thanks for your help! I'm confident that, working together, we can stop Canadian trash now!

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

Thanks from me too......Hammer.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Sep 4 2003, 08:07 PM)Maybe this will get your mind thinking about something else Eddie...

Now, can you please drop the other thing? PLEASE
she is smokin hot.........
i would KILL a fisherman to be with her.

i hope she wants to keep michigan beautiful too!
michigan is, in my mind, the most gorgeous state.
change of seasons, green green lawns, the lakes !

i hope this petition helps, and stops the trash from coming
over the border.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Driving westbound I-94 every morning I get to see the tremendous number of "Wilson Logistics" trucks hauling that stupid trash to our privately owned landfills. It's the greed of the owners and their lobbyists in Lansing that is stopping our elected lawmakers from putting a stop to this abuse of out natural resources. A political contribution goes a long way in the wrong hands. I agree that trash disposal is important, but come on now, free trade agreement, import garbage? Also, contact your local politicians about this problem.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Done Hammer, as environmental manager at the company that I work at it ticks me off big time. I spend as lot of time and energy reducing our waste stream and now Canada sends us more trash GRRRRRRRR. It is all about the money Canada has a lot of unused space for their own trash

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quick.

Easy.

Painless.

DONE!

Thanks for bringing this up Hammer!

·
"Commodore of the ToT LoT"
2,809 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Sep 4 2003, 08:58 PM)In January of 2003, Toronto closed its last landfill, and now sends all of its trash to landfills around Michigan. Over 6 million cubic tons of trash from Canada ends up in Michigan landfills each year.
Doesn't make much since. Canada seems to have so much more
unoccupied territory so why send it to us??? I guess it always comes down to money and politics!!!

XO

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Sh!t, I'm Canadian and I don't want it in my backyard so I feel the same way you do.

If they are making it, they can keep it up there too!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts