Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the trip back to Kent Lake Saturday with my dad and step dad. Between the three of us we had 3 Largemouth (1 spinnerbait, 2 jerkbait), 8 Smallmouth (2 texas rigged worm & 6 jerkbait) and 1 walleye (spinnerbait an in 4-5 f.o.w. go figure!). Fished from about 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and the water temp was between 60-63 where we fished. One big disappointment was after pulling up to the launch we watched a group of guys fishing the shallow flat to our right (from the water) and keeping bass. Once we had the boat loaded up I took a walk over to them to see what they had caught. One guy said, “I don’t know but it’s a big sucka and gots teefff! He continued over to the basket and pulled it from the water and yep, 2 largemouth one male and one female. After seen the fish I then let them know that it’s only a C&R lake. So he looked at me and said, “so you think we should cover them up”? Boy I thought they don’t get any dumber than this. I asked him if I could weigh the female, you should have seen his eyes when I lipped it. The female weighed 4.6 oz. and after weighing it I just felt like throwing it back in to the lake but I figured I would warn them about the risk of fines and let him let it go. Good thought but not the result I wanted, he took both fish put them a bucket and continued to fish. Man, know I’ve met some uneducated people before but this guy was at the top of my list. Shortly after pulling away from the launch we spotted a park owned vehicle driving thru the parking lot. I wanted to stick around and see if they would question them but my dad figured that they may think that we ratted on them and didn’t need the hassle. Come to think of it by the look on his face about catch and release only, I bet they didn’t even have a fishing lic. Good fishing and good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
You should have reported it. It is still not too late to do so.

I can remember thinking the same things prior to 9/11, and you say what does 9/11 have to do with fishing? If the people on the third plane decided to not get involved we would not have a White House. Since 9/11 there is a trend for people to get involved and protect our rights and freedoms. I feel this is a good thing. You have to buy your license and follow rules, why shouldnt they? If they are raising children and teaching them that it is ok to fish out of season and not buy the proper permits then the problem is compounded. Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to laws. I commend you for attempting to educated them, but you still should have insisted the fish be released.

Personally I would have told the Park Officer AND called the DNR.

Mini

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John/madman24, I'm sure they were checked. I spoke with my dad this afternoon about this situation & he did stop at the booth and talked to the girl inside. She assured him that she would send someone down to the ramp to check them out. I told them several times that I wouldn't like to see anyone get fined for keeping bass out of season and not knowing the regs. The funny thing is, that I was just thinking this morning about the look on his face if I would have just tossed it back into the lake. Being 30 years old and having a family of my own I will not take the risk of a confrontation and someone getting hurt. In my younger years I would have tossed it and hoped for a fight. Now a days it's not worth the risk of someone pulling a gun or knife over anything but my family. See ya on the water soon!

Steve J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts