Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four of us (Dad, Step Dad, Step Brother & I) fished Sun. from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., nothing until about 12:30 p.m. Went thru the whole lure selection thing before switching to a soft plastic jerkbait. I caught nine bass 3 smallmouth and 6 largemouth. I've never seen 3 other fishermen switch so fast to jerkbaits in my life (talk about Ben Trodders….ha..ha). Fished the lower end of the lake from 96 into Island Lake, 1 f.o.w. dropping off to 5 f.o.w. fished slooooowly.

Steve

·
Registered
467 Posts
I haven't been out on Kent since last Tuesday...what was the water clarity/temp?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water clarity was aprox. 2 feet and the water temp was anywhere between 55* to 59* where we fished. Most of the fish came once the jerkbait fell out of sight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
nice catch.... i still havent even seen a smallmouth caught this year... oh yeah i hopefully will be able to call you sometime within the next 2 weeks or so because i think im going to have an answer whether or not i can very soon... i hope this isn't too long

·
Registered
927 Posts
went out saturday all day. caught several. most fish came on a jig and pig pitched to shallow cover. biggest fish came off a point on a storm mid wart. it was a largemouth about 3 lbs.

went to cass lake on sunday. fished from 9 am - 9:30pm. cass is tough. it was only my second time fishing it. most fish were caught on rogues. missed a big largemouth on a jig and pig in the back waters. whats up with the followers? i seen over 200 smallmouth that day but only caught 15. i tried everything. i switched colors at least 10 times. i sitched from suspending to floating thinking maybe the fish needed a lil more action to be convinced into striking. i tried rattle traps. i tried a deeper running crankbait. i threw a tube.

at night, i finally convinced myself to downsize. tied on a super rogue jr and started killing them. bad part was it was already dark. didnt have much time to catch them by then. did catch 4 nice walleye tho. biggest one was 24.25" smallest was 16.5".

going back out there today. gonna try wacky rigged senkos on the drops and maybe an "artificial rig" aka legal version of the drop shot?!?! god i love cass lake tho. that water is so clear you can see the fish following from 50 feet away. talked to a guy down there who said the smallmouth should be finishing up on spawning in the next 2 weeks or so. kind of confused me. the water temps were in the low 50's when we were there. i didnt think the smallies were even spawning yet. oh well, i am digging the new challenge. cass looks like its going to be a tuff one to crack. i need to locate some rock piles so i can throw my tube with more confidence. im thinking thats the ticket out there.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
I remember a day like that Brian (not at Cass but up in Traverse) where I was getting a ton of followers but no takers. I ended up tying on a plastic craw and figured I'd slow down a bit and let the fish make up their minds. Well after about the 4th fish coming up to the bait and swimming away without even a nibble, I started reeling in the bait as fast as I could (a bit frustrated :)) and wouldn't you know it, that forth fish came rushing after it? Next cast, I let the craw settle, gave one big Jerk and got the attention of another one. This time as the fish started coming up to look at the bait I gave it another good jerk (by good jerk I'm talking 15' or more) and boom...there was my pattern. I thought the water was a bit cold, but hey, you gotta let the fish tell you what they want...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Try a weightless XPS Twin Tail Shad (soft jerkbait)......Usually will get some of the followers....

OR

ry to weight the jerkbait so it sinks slllloooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy when you pause it.

Mini

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had the same situation at cass a week ago. Tons of follows, but no takers(on jerkbaits). Had to work them fast to get a bite. I went to dirty water and fished cover and it was a lot easier than the clear water. Then as the sun went down, I started catching fish in the clear water. I am going to try Kent tommorow, how are the ramps w/ the low water?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Brian-
Didn't see you out there...were you fishing South of the freeway again? I ended up fishing the stumps for a while and had two dinks and a solid 18 inch largemouth. Moved from there to the East side of the deep water to fish the shoreline and ended up getting 5 fish in 10 minutes: 3 smallies (one FAT 18 incher and 2 smaller males) and two walleye. I went over one spot in 10 feet of water and my graph went CRAZY. I'm gonna try going back in the next day or so to see if they are still there. See you out there...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mexque, you will have no problem putting your boat in at Kent. The water is up to its normal level.

·
Registered
927 Posts
didnt make it out to kent last night. at the last minute we decided to try cass again. in 3.5 hours i only got 2 fish and my friend got 3. got mine on a rattle trap and he got his 3 on a jerkbait. we talked to 3 other groups of guys fishing for bass out there and noone was catching them. i will crack this lake. its tough. i was seeing beds out there but no fish on them. we are still fishing the drop offs on the edges of the flats. i dont want to pull any fish off beds. i am not sure if they are spawning yet but i dont want to take the chance.

jeff,

sounds like you had a good day on kent. im starting to have kensington withdraws. its been 3 whole days since my last visit. thats a record for me this year. gonna try to get out there tomorrow. seen any spawners out there yet?

mini,

thanks for the tip. i will be sure to try some softies next time im out there.

anyone know what color the crawfish are out on cass? my guess would be a light brown maybe with a little green but i havent seen any yet so i have no idea.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
Brian-
I know the fish are up on the flats, the water is just too murky to see anything. I've had a number of fish "bump" my baits the last few times I've been out which I'm either guessing means they 1) aren't hungry, 2) hungry but I'm using the wrong bait/size/color or 3) simply bumping my baits off/away from their nests (but I can't see if they are even nesting, so this is just a guess). The water temp back on the stump flat was 62-64, so if they aren't nesting, they are VERY close. I'm gonna try to get out there thurs. or fri night. I doubt I'll make it out this weekend.

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts