Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to join ABA and fish Kent Sunday. Never been there, and it's been a long, long time since I've fished from the back (I figure it's safe to go as a non-boater since Dan still doesn't have his on the water). So, I'm looking for some advice on what kinds of tackle to bring. Can't exactly take everything that's in my boat, so I need some help narrowing it down. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
927 Posts
eric,

bring some ratl traps and some spinnerbaits. i would also bring some soft plastic baits. i know a 7 lber was caught recently on a grub ( largemouth ). jig and plastic trailer works well also. usually produces some biggerr fish.

i will be down there sunday. i will give ya some tips.

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you end up in the back of my boat on Sunday, this is what I will tell you to bring: Shallow to mid-depth crankbaits, rattletrap-style baits, and your favorite softplastics and/or jigs. I don't throw spinnerbaits very often out there, but I have caught a few using them. Hint: my bigger fish have come fishing SLOOWWWW. Quantities have been caught fishing fast.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Madman sush about that Kent lake grub bite .....lol

You let the cat out of the bag ....

Seriously,

I highly recomend the following.

4-5 rods MAX
a life-vest
Rattle traps and small lipped cranks.
Tubes, Grubs, and lizards work well.
A camera - digital if possible.

See you at the West Launch at 6:00 am

·
Registered
467 Posts
Grubs? Wow...I don't think ANYONE has ever fished a grub out there...SHHHHHHHHH! That 7lb fish's name is Brutus btw...he's a smart little bugger. He always manages to be caught by anglers without cameras or scales...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sounds like a 9-pounder I once knew. I remember there was this one time... (I almost said "at band camp
)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(jcheetam @ May 5 2004, 02:27 PM)anglers without cameras or scales...

We ALL know what that leads too.......

"Scales,...and TALES!!"...bbwwaahhaaaaaaa...sorry

Mac

Been there,...done that!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I will bring 12 rods (don't worry they are all 2 piece except for the 2 cane poles) and 16 boxes of tackle. My tubes are all in tupperware tubs, and I can't make up my mind which ones to bring, so I am going to bring white plastics and 6 bottles of spike-it. I just went to wal-mart and got me a new orange life jacket, so I should be all set. I will bring my golf umbrella in case it rains. Is there a bait shop close by to get fresh minnows? I'll catch night crawlers the night before. I hope my chronic diarrhea won't be a problem for my partner. I think it will be fun, I got a new fishing hat and am learning how to use a baitcaster. Do I really have to call all of the little fish Jeff Cheetham like I read on here before?

How long does it take to get to the ramp from Lansing, and how do I get there from 96? I will be in the purple beetle with the dice hanging from the mirror. Hopefully I will get to be you guys' partner.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Eric...call 'em whatever you like...just catch some. You know what we call getting skunked out on Kent? Getting McCartered...

And don't worry about bringing the orange life preserver...I have one on reserve for anyone that forgets to bring one...

·
Registered
927 Posts
eric,

great post. i too suffer from chronic diahrea. i also have kidney stones so i tinkle a lot and tend to scream in agaony whenever i do. maybe we could work something out and get paired up for the kent lake tourney. i like to bring extra diapers and wet wipes with me to all tournaments, so if you need to borrow any i have them.

jeff,

good one. but ironaically they also call catching 5 huge toads pulling a mccarter. but we know the difference when you get cheetamed and when i pull a fat mccarter

lets pre fish punk.

madman himself

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really do need directions to the ramp from 96. I am guessing it will take about an hour to get there from Lansing, am I close? I live an hour and a half NW of Lansing and I'm trying to figure out when to leave.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
From Lansing it is maybe 45 - 50 Minutes.

Your going to want to get off at Exit 151 - Kennsington rd.

Turn North, you will come to an intersection as soon as you come over the expressway, turn right (east), shortly after you go past the metro parks both the road will curve and you will see the entrance to the launch on your right.

Be there as close to 6:00 am as possible.
The West Launch .....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't forget Anthony, the park opens at 6am so there may be a line of guys waiting to get in....

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I've asked them to open it early for us Jeff, They said they would try so I am hoping they do.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't drive fast like all you kids and it still took me less than 45 minutes from my SW Lansing home to the ramp.

Eric, good luck with that chronic diarrhea thing. I hope that works out for you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts