Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to let you guys know ( again ) that kent lake has been producing good smallmouth. went out friday and got 8 fish over 14" with most in the 2 - 2.5 lb range and a couple 3, 3.5, and a 4lber. saturday was a bit better with 9 fish over 14" and most fish were over 3 lbs with 2 fish in the 4 lb range. sunday was big fish day with 3 smallmouth in the 4 lb range and a 16" largemouth that went 3.9lbs, fattest green i have ever seen. the rest were in the 3-3.5 lb class with only a couple 2 lbers. this was all in 3 hours. this lake is hot right now. most of the smallies are hitting a crawfish pattern storm midwart and all largemouth and some of the smallies ( including 2 of the biggest ) were caught on a green and yellow bleeding rattle trap ( 17.75" smallie at 4.0 lbs) and my friend got a 19.25" smallmouth weighing 4.2 lbs on an xps rattle bait in bass pattern. fish are still hanging on points in about 8 feet of water and in connecting bays in 4 to 6". get out there. with saturday being an exception, there havent been more than 3 boats out everytime i have went. heres a pic of the 17.75" smallie, its the biggest one we got a pic of before the digicam died.

madman himself

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey Madman, I thought I saw you on Saturday (fishing out of your boat, right?). We slayed the bass as well. I caught one dink around 12 inches but the other 10 bass were 16+. Only got 2 Smallies out of the lot though...The attached Largemouth was the biggest of the day...20+ inches long and I swear just as thick...she was easily pushing 5 lbs (didn't have a scale). All the larger fish came off a Mann's Baby 1 Minus in Baby Bass or Gray Ghost, bumped off of stumps in 2 feet of water or less. So you gonna be out on Kent this week?

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres a decent largemouth. caught one the day before that was just sick. it looked like one bill dance pulls out of his private lake

madman himself

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Brain-
I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get out that many times this week! If I can make it twice all week I'll be lucky. If you haven't tried it yet, go fish the stumpfield on the west side of the lake (just north of the west launch). You'll get hung up a few times, but it will be WELL worth it...Hopefully I'll see you out there...
Jeff

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ok...I have to share this with you...My buddy snagged this fish just behind the dorsal fin. I chased it around in the boat for 15 minutes...all the while crying my eyes out (I couldn't help myself...it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!). My friend doesn't get out much and pulled out this MONSTER with 6 pound line on my finesse rod...

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we kinda wet back there the other day but didnt actually fish in the bay, we just hit around the island and pulled out a nice smallie. i wanted to get back into some of the bays but i just cant pull myself away from the smallmouth. i think the smallies already dropped eggs tho, cuz while we were fishing the point the other day, i got a clump of eggs stuck to my lure twice. if you want to get out but dont have time to prep your boat and stuff, let me know, i go out alot by myself, you can meet me down there. she aint much, but she gets me to where i need to go everytime!

madman himself

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carp on! i had one snagged too on a rattle trap but i lost him. they were going nuts this weekend tho. i think they are spawning too. i dont know much about carp other than they are fun to catch so im not sure when they spawn, but they are everywhere in the bays.

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh man, you guys are killing me. Other than an hour I spent at D&R Sports Saturday, I did chores and happy family stuff all weekend. I told them this was the last weekend they'd get the real thing instead of the cardboard cutout of me until at least Thanksgiving though.

(BTW, too bad the 15 years of legal spring catch and release has wiped out the bass on Kent lake ;-)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hear ya dan, kent lake is proof that an early season can be devistating to a fishery. throw cass lake in there and it should be enough for the non belivers to shut down bass fishing for a few years. in all seriousness tho, these are two prime examples that would support the fact that an early season has little effect on a lake. larger lakes anyway. i would put kent lake up against any in the surrounding area for smallmouth fishing, other that erie and st clair, but for the size and the area, you cant beat it. looks like i will be gettin wet tonite but its a small price to pay when your on em'

madman himself

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, im off to the lake. i have new areas to fish. i dont want to fish the point anymore because i was pulling up egg clusters the other day which leads me to believe the smallmouth are spawning down there. i shall seek out some fish that are still in pre spwn stages. this is when the fishing gets a little tougher. but soon enough the post spawners will be ready to hit the topwaters and the rattle traps, thats my favorite time......

madman himself

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anybody hit either of the the other two legal C&R lakes (Cass or Pontiac)? I fished Cass for few hours on SAturday with no luck. The water temp was about 44 in the main lake. A little cold yet I think. I went over to Pontiac and caught the usual assorment of dinks. Water temp was 53-55 deg.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, it was wet, it was windy, it was cold! and as a result the water was muddy and the fishing was tough. got out there at 5:30 and stayed til 9:00. fished all new areas and only got bit once. too bad my fingers were too numb to feel the hit in time to set the hook
my buddy got 2 dink greens and dropped his cel phone in the lake. all in all, it was a bust. but it was still better than sitting at home

madman himself

·
Registered
467 Posts
I NEARLY drove out last night around 7pm to drop a line. Sounds like I didn't miss a lot. Where did you end up trying?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we fished a new piece of shoreline in the back lake ( island lake) that has a big sloping drop right off shore. didnt get anything. fished a new point that doesnt show up on land, its just kinda on the graph when you go over it. my friend pulled on off of that point. fished a few bends in the river channel and a bay on the west side of the lake. that was it. just a few spots i have wanted to check out. not the best day to do it, but like i said, it was better than sitting at home

madman himself

1 - 20 of 34 Posts