Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Kent Lake for Memorial Day weekend and have not fished it before. I am interested in catching anything that bites. Any tips on species/locations/presentation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've been having a lot of success lately fishing the drop offs on the west end of the lake. I'm positioning my boat in the deeper water (usually 8-15 ft) and casting deep diving cranks to shore. I'm bumping the cranks along bottom and have been doing pretty well. I've also had some success running shallow cranks (like a Mann's Baby 1-) and white spinnerbaits in 2 feet of water or less in the North-West side of the lake. This area is mostly stumps. It is directly North of the West launch. If you are looking for panfish, try the throw-downs along shore. You can also pick up some nice walleye along the Western shoreline later in the evening. As for other areas...look for points and you'll usually do well. Good luck...

·
Registered
535 Posts
just be careful. If you launch from the west launch (might be the only launch), there is a rock pile a couple of hunder feet in front of it, dead center, so stay to the right along the little islands. We had a tournament last year and out of ten boats, 4 hit it.

Dan

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've always gone out of the East Ramp, which is accessible via Kent Lake Road. Early in the season there is a large hump just to the Southwest of the launch (about 100 yards) that you need to be aware of, but now that the water level is normal, there isn't much need to worry. Kudos to foreverbass for pointing out the gravel pile.

Now for a quick update on the bite on Kent...Went out yesterday from 10 am to 5:30 and had some success in the shallows throwing white spinnerbaits (colorado blades) and Mann's Baby 1- (I went 8 of 9 with only 2 short fish...all the others were 2- 2.5 pounds). The bite pretty much shut down after 2 pm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made it out sunday morning - 6 - 10 am. Caught 3 smallies in the dam basin area. All came on crawdad cranks. Looking forward to this weekend - hopefully the weather will cooperate.

·
Registered
927 Posts
walleyedoc,

assuming you are targeting walleye, i can tell you 3 areas that i have caught walleye from on kent lake.

1) the back lake ( island lake ) river channel near the damn.
the water depth is 12' -13' in the channel and the surrounding area is around 8'. i have caught a few nice walleye here fishing rogues in silver/blk back/orange belly.

2) the point (south east side of island lake)
this point has been holding good numbers of walleye. i have only caught one dink here but i have seen them with the aqua vu in good numbers. i caught mine on a storm mid wart fishing for smallmouth. there are also a lot of perch minnows holding in the weeds around this area so you might try a perch pattern.

3) the deep ( near the express way, big drop off)
i dropped the camera in this area just to see what was going on down there. seen a lot of walleye hanging around in about 12 - 20'

there are a few more areas i see guys fishing in for walleye but no one seems to be catching anything. i wish i could help mroe but i am a bass fisherman and know nothing about walleye. hope this info at least gives you a place to start.

madman himself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are there any good places to fish from the shore on Kent Lake? If so where, what bait should I use, and what should I expect to catch? I could rent a boat, but trying to get my fiancee on the water when she doesn't know how to swim is an impossibility. If she didn't kill me her mom would. Basically I'm stuck shoring it this weekend. Anything I can catch be it panfish, walleye, bass, or any other edible fish is a welcome thing for me. I'd like to eat fresh fish at my Memorial Day BBQ, rather than store bought if possible, but so far I haven't had any luck in this area.

·
Registered
927 Posts
water levels are fine. they drain the lake level down 3 feet in the winter for maintanence. but they are and have been back to normal.

shore fishing is something i havent done for a while. i know they have designated shore fishing areas and peirs but those are usually pretty packed.

you might try fishing some smaller bays. there is also a long stretch of shoreline that has a good drop leading into the river channel on the north shore between the east boat launch and the 196 bridge. i dont know what that area of the park is called but if you are coming in from milford rd, stay to the right at the split.

i have a friend who fished from shore at possum hollow a week ago. he was catching small largemouth on a 1/8 oz spinnerbait white/chartreuse.

to be honest, there arent too many areas in kent that dont hold fish. everywhere you go, you will find a lot of structure. the secret is finding slight differences in the structure that will draw fish to it.

good luck, hope you have a great time, it is a great lake!

madman himself

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm taking a trip to Kent Lake on either the 7th or 8th, and just wondering if the same spots mentioned are still hot spots? Any additional info would be cool, I have a map of the lake with all the depths. The one you can get at the boat rental place. Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
most of the areas i was fishing earlier in the spring are not producing fish like they were a month ago.

try using soft jerkbaits along the shorelines during the day. if you are going out in the evening, use floating jerkbaits and top water lures. i havent had any luck with popping style, but have been doing well on swimming ( like zara puppys ).

i dont know what to do out there in the morning. we have fished 2 tourneys on kent so far this year and have had a hard time finding a morning bite. i cant even get bit on top.

if you can find some deeper structure, you will find some bigger post spawn females. try slower moving baits, like a jig and pig, a senko made by gary yamamoto, or any type of soft plastic. if there is some wind, it usually puts the fish in a more aggresive mood. burn spinnerbaits along weedlines, or crank a lipless bait like a rattle trap in 8 foot of water.

kent is a funny lake. alot has changed in the past few weeks. some fish are already done spawining. there are still many largemouths on beds. just play around in different areas with different lures until you find something they like.

and let us know how you do.

madman himself

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, I know they have walleye, pike, large and smallmouth bass, perch, and crappie. Is there anything else in their worth fishing for? Can someone tell me exactly how many different species are usually in there?

Also, the types of bait/lures I have are:
Assorted rapalas (big, small, jointed, different colors, only one deep diver, though)
Various lures with spinners on them ranging in size.
plastic shad/leech baits
the "AMAZING BANJO MINNOW" system (I was young and stupid)
Worm/minnow spinner rigs in various colors

·
Registered
927 Posts
ok, heres one that doesnt get the credit it deserves. CARP!

i know this species has a bad rep, but if you want a decent fight, try fishing for them. in kent lake you can find carp anywhere. try chumming a shallow area with corn to bring them in. all you need is a hook, a split shot, and a few kernels. it wont take long. we have caught carp weighing over 30 lbs in this lake.

like i said, not a much desired fish, but its a hell of a good time catching them. and easy.

madman himself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts