Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish tournaments regularly on Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie, and it seems like no matter where or how i fish, I just can't seem to catch the big fish when it counts. I do spend alot of time prefishing only to find that the prefishing fish I thought I found aren't there, so It's either catching the fish that are all 14.99" or smaller, and the times i do have a good limit of fish I don't have the "Kicker Fish" to put me where i need to be. Any help anyone can give me to overcome this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Damn, wish I knew the answer to that question too! Try locating isolated structure or cover (i.e. spot fishing) once you've bagged your limit. Look for spots that don't hold a lot of fish but hold the potential for larger fish. This usually means running and gunning from several spots or hanging out at one for hours on end just to get a bite or two. Also try switching up your presentation. But again you got to be committed to fishing long periods of time between bites.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Have you tried 5" tubes? The bigger fish do eat bigger meals. If you're catching quality bass, there may be a few big ones in the same area. A bigger lure might make the difference. I'll take a 5" tube and toss it in the same spot and let it sit.

Big spinnerbaits and big jerkbaits work sometimes too. I catch some of my bigger fish on crankbaits too.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
One more thought from your post.

"I do spend alot of time prefishing only to find that the prefishing fish I thought I found aren't there"

St. Clair smallies are notorious for their "here to day gone tomorrow" attitude. Half the battle is finding them. The other half is figuring out what brought them there. Figure this out and you may be able to determine where they went or finding other areas like it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
thoroughly check the areas surrounding the spots where you are catching fish. i learned last year that the fish would hold on a small rock pile one minute, but are gone the next, after studying the depth finder and cruising the area i found some other small rock piles a ways from the one i was originally catching my fish and found fish on the new ones. after a while, those fish were gone and i went back to my first spot to find that the fish had returned. i think ( for some reason) they were the same group of fish going from one pile to another.

5" tubes are the ticket for finding bigger fish in my opinion. i usually limit out in about an hour with 2-3 lbers on a spinnerbait. after that i hit the bottom with a 5"er and pretty much let it sit. if i get no response with letting it just sit, i try dragging it slowly, and if that dont work, i gradually increase my presentation speed til i find what works. this has helped me put some 4's in the boat.

if you want a good 5" tube to try on st clair, xtreme bass tackle designed a tube in "st clair goby" color for wayne carpenter of fishing information servie headquarters ( F.I.S.H. and the Combat Fishing Newsletters). these tubes look great, they are a little beefier than normal and have a great color pattern. i am excited to try these this year.

hope that helps man.

madman himself

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for responding to the post I'll give the 5" tubes a try and see what happens what are some thoughts on fishing tubes. Fishing them either carolina, or texas rigged, or just fishing them on the bottom w/ tube or round head jigs.

Thanks again for the tips,
Scott

·
Registered
927 Posts
it depends on what type of structure you are fishing. if you are hitting them on a soft sand bottom, you can rig it with a tube head and an open hook. if you are around a lot of rock and keep getting hung up, you can texas rig the tube and peg the weight about 1/8 above the tube ( easier to work it out if its not tight to the tube if you do get caught up). personally, i just use a tube head with an exposed hook 90% of the time. you may lose a lot more jig heads, but you will hook more fish. play around with different rigs in different situations to see what works best for you.

madman himself

·
Registered
927 Posts
one more thing. you can carolina rig your tube too, but if your fishing around rock, and you are dragging it, your gonna lose alot of weights. lindy makes a snagless weight for bottom bumping. i havent used them, but they look like they would work, you might want to check them out.

madman himself

1 - 10 of 10 Posts