Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a great deal on a 115 hp mariner on a 19 ft. alumacraft. i'm up-grading from a 15 hp honda on a 14 ft. sea nymph.
i now can fish more areas of the lake... i fish for walleye and perch, but now might try more species.
getting it registered tomorrow and putting it in the water wed.(weather permitting)
i am looking for someone i can ask questions to about the motor..

it runs fine, but it is a 1990, and sat for the past three years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it hasn't been abused too much you should be mostly okay. Obvious things need to be checked. Any signs of corrosion, plugs, lube, oil filter, wires, ditributor cap and the rotor inside of it. All wiring, all harnesses, ALL HOSES as they tend to dry and crack if not used. I would definately change the water/fuel separator and triple check the fuel line, Gear lube change is a must, engine lube change is also a must and last but not least, the impeller. After 3 years it could be nice and dried up. Meaning the next time you are on the lake it can shatter.

Again, all pretty obvious stuff. I would also suggest getting a service manual on ebay. Did I forget anything guys?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Don't forget the trailer. Check the bearing's for good grease. Make sure the tire's don't have dry rot. Look for cracked springs. Look for cracks on welds. Clean any rust and paint it. Make sure there's no knicks in the prop and it's not bent. Clean any oil residue under motor cover. Definately change the dope in the lower end. Congrads. on your new boat and save some fish for me.

·
LSCN Sponsor
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here's the update,, i ran it with muffs and i had to squeeze the muffs on very tight to get the pisser to work.. too much water leaking from the un-sealed muffs.

I took off the cover to visually check it out, it is a two stroke, oil injected??? I'm not very familiar with this motor but i did order a manual, and it runs very good. I'm checking the trailer tomorrow and still planning to put it in the water wed.

to get out and to get home i don't see having a problem. i just now need to learn to drive it and understand all the fancy 10 yr old electronics.
i'm putting on my honda 15hp. to make sure i make it home.
trying to put a picture up but i'm not computer friendly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts