Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently near Belle Isle at Kean's Yacht Harbor. We go to Peche Island all the time, nice little sandy area and super close but its a little hassle with the customs issues in addition to the strong current of the river.

I have 3 little kids and am looking for a place to drop the hook and swim, ideally with some sand!

We are considering switching marinas to somewhere north near Anchor Bay like Belle Maer but wonder about depth issues.

I have a Carver 370 Voyager that draws 32" but I don't want to sweat everywhere I go either! I also am trying to not have to travel more that 4-8 miles to get somewhere...

Any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Poorman's Beach just outside of Belle Maer, Strawberry Island just to the east, Munchies bay to the North East.

I have a 30 inch draft and get into decent swimming holes.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Out in front of Belle Maer & MacRays is a bay, commonly known as Poormans. It's a sandy bottom, good for swimming, there are always alot of boats anchored there.

Just across the lake from the mouth of the Clinton River is Strawberry Island. Good, sandy bottom, except on a busy day, the waves roll through there. If you dont mind rocking some, you should be OK. There are always alot of boats there, so it must not be too bad.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Aug 30 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Out in front of Belle Maer & MacRays is a bay, commonly known as Poormans. It's a sandy bottom, good for swimming, there are always alot of boats anchored there.

Just across the lake from the mouth of the Clinton River is Strawberry Island. Good, sandy bottom, except on a busy day, the waves roll through there. If you dont mind rocking some, you should be OK. There are always alot of boats there, so it must not be too bad.

Ha beat you by one minute.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Aug 30 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Jazzy @ Aug 30 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Out in front of Belle Maer & MacRays is a bay, commonly known as Poormans. It's a sandy bottom, good for swimming, there are always alot of boats anchored there.

Ha beat you by one minute.

I typed more!

·
Registered
696 Posts
QUOTE(JEFF YACHT CLUB @ Aug 31 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In front of Art Van's house In GP is apopular spot as well as '10 mile bay' just north of the Coast Guard station in SCS sandy bottom good for kids

I second Art Van's backyard, beautiful soft sandy bottom and you can say you hung out in Art Vans Backyard...

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(WayneO @ Aug 29 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am currently near Belle Isle at Kean's Yacht Harbor. We go to Peche Island all the time, nice little sandy area and super close but its a little hassle with the customs issues in addition to the strong current of the river.

I have 3 little kids and am looking for a place to drop the hook and swim, ideally with some sand!

We are considering switching marinas to somewhere north near Anchor Bay like Belle Maer but wonder about depth issues.

I have a Carver 370 Voyager that draws 32" but I don't want to sweat everywhere I go either! I also am trying to not have to travel more that 4-8 miles to get somewhere...

What is the proper procedure for anchoring at Peche with custums?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(Jumbos @ Aug 28 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(WayneO @ Aug 29 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am currently near Belle Isle at Kean's Yacht Harbor. We go to Peche Island all the time, nice little sandy area and super close but its a little hassle with the customs issues in addition to the strong current of the river.

What is the proper procedure for anchoring at Peche with custums?

The proper procedure is to go to over to Canada where you can call in and tell them where you are going to anchor.. The best place to call in is one of the gas docks close to Peche Island..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts