Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was down on the lower end of the Detroit River today poking around for smallies. Around noon we decided to try the north shore of Erie and ran into an algae bloom the likes I've never seen down there. It actually shows up on te MODIS image pretty good. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

Erie Algae

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, it happened about 5 to 6 years ago in the north central part of Erie. At that time they called it a dead area of the lake. If the wind and current doesn't move it or mix it up the area becomes devoid of oxygen.

We have had calm winds or north winds for the last few weeks and it's primetime for algae bloom, warm days, cool nights and light winds.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We didn't stick around to fish it very long. As soon as I put the trolling motor down I noticed some schools of small shiners swimming around, and scattering when our baits hit the water. We beat the water for about 20 minutes before leaving with nothing to show for it, except for a sick feeling in my stomach. Ugly, ugly stuff to look at.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I made a post on this exact thing on Greatlakesbass....

We were there Saturday and that bloom was heavy all the way from Colchester all the way to Pelee ISL...It seemed super heavy around the Helicopter pad and seemed to cover from the surface deep down into the water....

I don't know what to think, but I have never seen anything like that....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have seen small pockets of it out there most of the summer. When you are running through it your wake looks like green kool aid! Seen the same thing last year in Muskegon lake while running out to lake mi.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Perhaps the Canadian government should look at it's own environmental regulations in letting the industry along the Canadian side of the St Clair river dump so much effluent into the river. Not to mention the agricultural run-off from the Thames. Where does it go? Hmmm, Lake Erie. Then, light Westerly winds take it to the Canadian side of the lake where it causes massive algae blooms. I'm not too concerned at this point however, because we are about to get into the windy season in about 2 weeks and the lake will be turing over with plenty of oxygen. Had this occurred in July, I'd be concerned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.