Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Erie with Roy Randolph today....got out around 6:30 am.

Some wind, some waves, went to Pelee.

Fished one side.....sheepheadsheepheadsheephead!!!

Went to the other side looking for some new stuff....

"Hey Roy, this looks good, ever fish it?"

"No....been by here but never fished it."

"Well, let's give her a try"

Out comes the tubes.....WHAM......Roy hooks up....it's HUGE...what is it...musky?...gigantic sheephead???

No...it's a 7-1/2 lb WALLEYE!!!!!

I search my tackle...aaahhhh, I have a Hot-n-Tot.
Second cast....WHAM!!!!!!...oooohhhhh...got a good look at her, another toad walleye before she broke off.

No more of those, no other cranks....let's try a spinnerbait!!!

I chuck it out, let her sink a second, start reeling....WHAM.......another 7-1/2 Lb WALLEYE!!!!

A few more casts, Roy's still working the tube...spinner's rolling...WHAM...Ken get's a 5lb Walleye.

Roy says..."let me see that thing....hand me my spinnerbait box please!!!"

He ties one on....cast, cast, cast....WHAM!!!!!! 5lb walleye!!!

We patterned them good on the spinners and proceeded to boat over 25lbs of deeeelicious walleye while bass fishing!!!

We lost 2 real good ones, and got bit off by half a dozen more.

Pic's to follow...gotta run, the oil's heating up in the pan right now!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Finally that awesome report everyone's been waiting for. I bet you have a new favorite hot spot now. Great Job guys

h2o<--says when you going back

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ken started the day by telling me about a friend of his catching a walleye on a spinner bait last week and I told him that happened to me some 10 years ago on a small lake in Oakland Co. We had a good laugh and headed out onto Eire in what looked like a rainy day. Who would have guessed we would be targeting walleye with spinner baits and laughing the whole time thinking this is crazy!

Let me say they tasted GREAT!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great job fellas. Nice sack of 'eyes. I think you shoulda CPR'd (Catch Photo Release) some of those though. They looked like some nice spawners. I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do with their fish, that is your right, but usually if I catch an eye that pushes 7.5 lbs. it's going back into the lake, not my livewell. I don't buy into the old saying 'the smaller ones taste better'...heck, they all taste the same to me when you bread 'em and fry 'em up. I just think the biggest ones shoulda been released. I know you're both die hard bass anglers and obviously weren't targeting 'eyes, but can you imagine the outrage on this board if someone posted a pic of a limit of 5+ lb. smallmouth that they decided to keep for the skillet?? As they say, 'let 'em go...let 'em grow'. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Smallmouth can be kept too. I dont do it because they dont taste that good.

Walleye have been caught on spinnerbaits in Erie for YEARS. Remember the ErieDearie?

Great job guys....did you get any smallies?

Mini

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mini,
We caught a couple of dinks and I got one nice 4.25 smallie.

TKE,
If you take all the little ones, how will they grow to be big ones?!?

Many bass anglers catch an abundance of walleye while bass fishing, some keep 'em, some don't, but many walleye guys are out their pulling limits daily for the freezer. I have no problem with that, the fishery is doing great and they are well within their rights.

I usually keep enough to provide me with a meal per week....what I caught yesterday will keep me going until late August, so don't worry, the walleye are safe from me for a while.

·
Registered
397 Posts
OK Guys, time for my story....

I'm out with Ken and another friend on Friday and we're down near GPYC. We get to this spot where the water is 8 to 10 feet deep with good weed growth. It's been a pretty slow day with tubes so I pick up my spinner bait with the hopes catching (insert any specie here). Well after a few casts I hook into a nice 3lb walleye on my spinner bait.

"Wow, that's cool!! Never caught a walleye on a spinnerbait before." So then I said "Guys, pick up a spinnerbait and stay here for a few minutes."

The response I got from Ken was "Nah, that was a freak occourance." Then he proceeds to put the TM on high and take off

Now look at him

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
East Coast,
I must confess, we weren't even on Erie....we were by GPYC catching all the walleye from your spot....I motored you off of it so there'd be some left!!!!

Just Kidding....but we'll definitely throw some spinners near the there again next time we go out!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow nice catch Ken!

I have to agree that it can be tough throwing back fish. Last Friday I landed a nice 26' walleye and proceeded to throw her back. There were three fellas in a small fiberglass boat nearby, they nearly had a sh*t fit!

The Ontario fish consumption advisory report recommends only one meal per week of walleye over 18" from Lake St Clair. Anything less than 18" is subject to no consumption restrictions.
The Michigan DNR chart recommends unlimited consumption of walleye from Lake St. Clair as long as the fish are under 22" in length.

I generally like to keep walleye that are 18" or less. Remember the possession limit over here is six, but only one walleye over 18.1" is allowed.

I have been stopped twice so far this year by the Ministry of Natural Resources on the Canadian side. Last year I never saw them once! They travel around in a grey coloured boat with a canopy top and the side of the boat reads "Crimestoppers". If I get a chance I will snap a picture of the boat and post it next time.

Happy fishing

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ken and Roy were in Lake Erie, not LSC. So the 18.1" reg. does not apply.

Also, those fish have spawned many times already. If they want to keep and eat a few fish (since there are supposedly millions in the lake) SO WHAT? They were out fishing, having fun and brought home a few fish. They shouldn't be lectured here, for cryin' out loud. "I don't want to tell you what to do, blah, blah, blah" ...then SHADDUP!

Okay, Ken or Roy, when do we all get to come to the fish fry?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ken-

I agree, you make a good point that if we all kept the smaller fish there wouldn't grow to be 'bigger' fish. My point was that, as I'm sure many will agree, it feels good to catch big fish and release them. Years ago, I caught a 10+ lb. 'eye up in Canada, snapped a photo, and quickly released her--much to the angst of some of my buddies fishing in another boat nearby. I could've kept that fish to put on the wall and I even took the proper girth and length measurements in case I decided to get a fiberglass reproduction mount later on. But I decided against getting the mount because
10-pound walleyes are more or less 'common place' catches in the river systems and Great Lakes around here. I'm a firm believer in CPR and fiberglass reproduction mounts. To me, nothing feels better than releasing a good fish like that. I recently returned from a fly-in trip up in Canada a few weeks ago. On my trip, I hooked a nice 38+ inch northern deep in her gills with a 1/16 oz. grub, and only after 15 minutes of trying to revive her, decided she wasn't going to make it and had to put her on the stringer. That broke my heart. I felt awful that I couldn't release her cause she was a helluva fish.

-TKE816

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There are population problems in Erie for walleye. That is what drove the possession limit changes in Michigan waters. I seriously doubt a bass fisherman keeping a few once a year is going to effect the spawn on Erie though....

Mini

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jul 14 2004, 09:39 AM)There are population problems in Erie for walleye. That is what drove the possession limit changes in Michigan waters. I seriously doubt a bass fisherman keeping a few once a year is going to effect the spawn on Erie though....

Mini
Gosh, I hope it doesn't affect it....if it does, we're gonna have to start eating the muskie we catch on accident while bass fishing!!!

Just a joke.....don't wanna give Unca Bob a heart attack!!!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jul 14 2004, 09:50 AM)I said Erie, not Lake St Musky.....

Mini
Oh thank goodness....the muskie are safe then!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
If a walleye fisherman wants to criticize two bass anglers about keeping a few walleye, their time would be better spent focusing on their own. I was just checking some of the reports on walleyecentral and was amazed at the number of walleyes that are being taken daily. One boat reported having 6 limits(30 fish) by 9:30am and heading for port to return that afternoon for 6 more limits - "which were much larger fish" according to the report. This seems to be rather common by looking at the various reports!

Good job on the walleyes and enjoy the great meal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts