Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to a short piece about todays wind and waves on Erie, around Dunkirk, NY. A couple of cool pictures of waves crashing over the roads and a Gordon Lightfoot video too.

BassFan.com Article

Anyone heard any news from downriver? These are the kinds of winds that typically empty the water from the ramp at Erie Metro.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I heard thru the grapevine that one marina in Ohio waters in the Western basin was down 6 feet and the boats were sitting in mud. I would bet that you would have had trouble launching a canoe today at Erie metro.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
How much will our lake levels drop in wind like this? Say a west wind like today...how much will the water drop at Crocker? (I was going to go and check it out, but didn't have time before work.) I was even going to go fishing today, but again, didn't have time, but if I had, is there any danger of launching from Crocker and then coming back in to find the water level too low to get back in?

Proably a dumb question, but I am curious, so humor me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The couple of guys I know with boats down in the Marina outside of Toledo lost almost all the water in their marina with the last blow. It was at least 6 ft of water there maybe even more! They said it was the worst many have seen. Of course you get hard blows occassionally but the last one had sustained winds for over 3 days! I heard that looking out of Bolles Harbor you couldn't even see water until about a half mile out. I havent heard what these winds have done yet but will call the guys I know down there tonight. I know they are out there checking their boats with that last experience.

·
Registered
573 Posts
QUOTE(Junkster @ Oct 7 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a friend who Charters out of Cedar Creek by Sandusky. He sent me these pictures today. they are from last weeks big blow. I was suppose to go for walleye with him this weekend. Guess we'll have to wait and see. The pictures are from Put in Bay.

WOW that "Blows" haha i humor myself.... no any way that would definatly suck a big one. because those boats are gonna be hard to get out!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 7 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How much will our lake levels drop in wind like this? Say a west wind like today...how much will the water drop at Crocker? (I was going to go and check it out, but didn't have time before work.) I was even going to go fishing today, but again, didn't have time, but if I had, is there any danger of launching from Crocker and then coming back in to find the water level too low to get back in?

Yes I too would like to know for future reference. As I launch out of crocker and now have a boat that if the water gets to low it won't be able to get back to the launch.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Oct 7 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How much will our lake levels drop in wind like this? Say a west wind like today...how much will the water drop at Crocker? (I was going to go and check it out, but didn't have time before work.) I was even going to go fishing today, but again, didn't have time, but if I had, is there any danger of launching from Crocker and then coming back in to find the water level too low to get back in?

Not a dumb question at all. My canal dropped a foot. It came back up a foot. When the winds are strong from the east, it goes up 6 in. SE and it'll go up a foot. I'd say the wind needs to be 25-30+ to have that kind of effect. The low water levels in the fall exagerate it as do high water in the spring. right not I'm down maybe 18" from spring levels.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
There is/was a post in the boathouse describing this. Many pictures posted too.

As far as the Crocker launch, I dont forsee a problem but then again it COULD happen. Especially if the ramp has silted in like it does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts