Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see some new water this weekend so I went down to Erie and fished some new ports. Started out on Friday fishing around Kelly's Island by Port Clinton water was pretty rough so I stayed to the sheltered side of the island. Ran the big boards with mini discs and spoons. Caught 7 fish all 20-24 inches. Couldn't keep the sheephead off, it was rediculous. At one time we had every rod going with a sheephead!

On Saturday I trailered out to Lorain. Hoped to tag a steelie or two but they were non existant and the fishing was really tough. Had to run a totally different program than the western basin which included big dipseys and downriggers. The water we fished was 50-60 feet deep so the typical mini discs and jets were not in the program. Had to figure this out the hard way when we finally got on fish down 40 ft deep. If you ran anything deeper you got nothing but sheep. All fish came from 36-40 feet down and the spoon bite was not happening. Took all fish on harnesses with gulp worms. Didn't touch a fish until 4 pm and then in the last few hours took 10. This water is known for bigger fish and that was in part what we were chasing. All fish were from the same mold and where 25-27 inches, all 6-7 lbs with the largest pushing 8lbs. The weird thing was once we hit a fish we worked the waypoints and we would only catch fish on the south troll, when we turned north we got nothing and then turn back south and we would hit fish. Nothing came on riggers as we found the baits needed to be away from the boat with dipseys on a 2 and 3 setting.

Today I took my girls out on the western basin out NE of the turnaround bouy where I have been doing good over the last month. Well the pack of boats out there is now right on top of where I have been! Stayed out side the pack to the north and we took our limit in a matter of about 2 hours. Only ran 4 rods to keep up with them and took them on size 0 dipseys set at 2 and 3 near the bottom. Started hitting them on harnesses and worms then switched to spoons and finished up. Girls had a great time and all fish where smaller with the largest one only going about 20 inches. Great weekend fishing but I am tired now. Gonna feel it at work in the morning!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice weekend! Erie is awesome. They get them deep over by Cleveland and over to Dunkirk NY too. Most use downriggers and the fish are deep.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts