Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought it was the strong west wind blows all the water out. Happens every so oftern regardless of the time of year.

That's what I heard anyway. When we went to pick up our new boat back in 78' from a marina in Monroe we had to wait because the water was gone.

tg.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
If someone would post a couple of photos I'd appreciate it.

Wonder how water levels in mid-Detorit River are doing? They were down on Sunday about 3 or 4" from the week before.

Now I feel like I should drive down and check up on AP2.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
That happend to us in Put in Bay, we were in the last private marina just before Perry's Mon.

We had to pull a friends boat over and raft off with us on the other side of the dock. We were more protected from the wind but the owner was a real jerk. We were locked in there an extra day.

AP~ checked on the boats by us and we were down a couple inches due to the winds but I expect it to be better today. I'm gonna have to loosen up the rear lines though.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The large surges are mainly due to the wind. A direct west wind will literally put enough hydraulic pressure to the lake and cause a shift. This typically happens every year this tim when the strong "fall" winds start coming in.

We too have been at put in bay at the city docks and watch the water level change by 3 feet over night. Its crazy.

LSC will get the effect, but not to the extreme, due to the size and volume of the lake. Where it is the most noticiable will be canals or small rivers such as Salt or Swan. But for the most part due to depths and wave heights being limited the surge can only be soo much....well that is of course if we do not get a 100 hear storm or so!

I have been on the Saginaw River with the same effect from a southerly wind...the day we picked up our 238, there was not a launch ramp with water in it to let us drop it in!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>keep going Fits....

Get the picture of the 46(?) sea ray and the motoryacht...Just a bummer deal...

No chit just saw that one, thanks for getting me hooked on another forum

They have some good picts too if you know what I mean

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Thanks for the pics Kevin.

That sucks!

My dock lines should handle a 2' drop, but more than that could get ugly!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Sep 30 2009, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>keep going Fits....

Get the picture of the 46(?) sea ray and the motoryacht...Just a bummer deal...

No chit just saw that one, thanks for getting me hooked on another forum

They have some good picts too if you know what I mean

yea- that seems like a rowdy, fun lovin' bunch there!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/communication...vels/seiche.htm

What is a seiche? (pronounced "saysh")

Like water sloshing in a bathtub, seiches are tide-like rises and drops in Great Lakes coastal water levels caused by prolonged strong winds that push water toward one side of the lake, causing the water level to rise on the downwind side of the lake and to drop on the upwind side. When the wind stops, the water sloshes back and forth, with the nearshore water level rising and falling in decreasingly small amounts on both sides of the lake until it reaches equilibrium.
I've heard of it happening around this time of year. Wouldn't people come to expect that it could happen and take precautions? With our case, the boat was on a trailer and launching it for the sea trial was an inconvenience, but if I had a boat in a well I'd be pretty nervous this time of year...

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I have been in PIB when the surges happened in a day. In the morning we were stepping up on the dock. When we came back in the afternoon we had to step up on the boat. The levels changed about a foot.

Cannot be good on the shafts of those boats grounded like that. Wow.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts