Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left for Cedar Point on Friday and the trip was awesome going there. Coming home on Sunday was a different story. The winds where a blowing pretty good and the waves weren't bad until we got pass Put in Bay going to the Detroit river. I'll tell ya, when we where cruising it wasn't that bad but when we stopped my wife freak out thing falling of the shelf's and fridge it was crazy, lesson learned if knowing that it is going to be a rough put everything away that can fall of the counter tops. Waves were about six foot and some had to be around eight. A good experience.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
We ran from Leamington to Pellee Island on Erie Saturday. Winds were blowing SW at 27+. Biggest waves I've ever been in. Saw a 50' Ray taking waves over his bow running at around 7 knots heading into Leamington Marina. Climbed a wave so steep, the a$$ end of the mako was going underwater trying to push over it. I'm guessing it had to be 10-12'. Heard a call on the radio with Search and Rescue that a boat was taking on water. Wind was blowing so hard I couldn't understand what was being said. We ran 9-11 mph out to the island. Took an hour and a half to get out there. Never had to throttle all the way down to get over a wave before. Winds were blowing out of the South East at the time. We stopped off the West side of the island. Water was pretty nice. Wind shifted damn near due South with some fury. Set lines and tried a North East troll. It was useless. Opened up the self bailer holes, my crew hung on to the console rail, packed up and headed back towards Leamington. Rammed the bow down and surfed the whole way in running 15-25 mph. It was a very wet ride but actually alot of fun. Not good for fishing though. LOL

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I was thinking about you guys on the Wheatly trip all weekend....I havent encountered too big of waves on Erie as they are "ususally" spaced apart pretty good. I would say 10 footers were the worst (in a bass boat).

Saginaw Bay is a whole different story.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Never more than about 4 footers on St. Clair, but in Cancun in May I was in 25 footers on a 30' charter fishing boat. WILD ride for sure. Those guys were used to it!

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Went to Cedar Pointe a few years ago, on the way down - Lake Erie was flat as glass - I knew trouble was brewing seeing that it was that calm!

Did the PIB, Kellys Island, and C. Pointe thing over I think 5 days. On the last day, storms kicked up. In the marina at c. pointe, Lake Erie was so loud you could barely hear anything else but waves. 10-15' waves. We were stuck at the marina in c. pointe for a full week!! At $50/day, it wasnt exactly how I wanted to finish our trip.

Anyways, a big 40 something foot SeaRay left the marina against the advice of everybody else there. It came back about 2 hours with broken bimini rails, and a really really pissed off wife sitting on the back seat with her arms crossed! Would love to have heard the conversation on the way back to the marina on that boat...LOL After talking to the guy, he said they were taking waves amidships and almost capsized a few times. The boat took a beating and they knew they had to turn around.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
QUOTE(Waldawg @ Jul 27 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is not un-commen to see 6 to 8 footers in a Macinaw race. I have been in 12-14 foot waves in Lake Huron in a fifty foot sailboat. We had 35 knot gales on the nose with 50 knot gusts... NOT FUN!!!!

We had some pretty wicked waves in the Mac race I was in. And in a 30' sailboat. Had barely any sail out, I think we were making about 1-3 mph. Miserable.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been to Kellys Island from Jeff Beach twice in what I recall were 3 to 4 footers but reading this thread scares me big time as we're planning another trip. Not having traveled in heavy seas B4 what is the best way for a decent safe ride if caught in 5 to 7 ft. or greater seas. I'll appreciate hearing and I'm sure there are others that need some advice also.Bill Veit

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
MY BF has a 34 Ft Sea Ray. We just left PIB about 4 miles out and started to hit 6 foot waves, then 8, I went down below and everything was all over the place. Even the t.v. fell off the stand. Finally felt the worst wave of my life what I thought would capsize the boat, my BF yelled down, 'Uhm Dawn, I think we are going to head over to Kelley's Island for the night'. Thank God. He said we hit about a 10 foot wave it was awful!! Took us about an hour to go 8 miles over to Kelley's.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
15 feet a few years ago Labor day weekend. We were on our way to put in bay but turned around cuz it seemed too dangerous. It didn't seem too bad until we saw what was happening to a boat that was the same as ours

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
There are a few huge holes in Lake Erie that they REEEALLY NEED to mark on the charts! I fell in a few that swallowed my 41' SONIC a few times!
Last time they were saying 12-15', but I'm guessing that was the average. There were occassional waves that had us doing the PERFECT STORM with 41' going ballistic, then down the other side!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The worse for us was 1.5 hours to get there from Miller-

4 hours to get back to the detroit river light.

3 of us in a 25' sunsation (23'-7") was actually quite interesting. Never took a wave over the bow until we were under the Ambassador bridge. The chop/bottom just fell out from under us and a wall of water came at us!

Seriously though, maybe its the times I have been to PIB, but you guys can all have it. I may go back if my wife wants to see the place, but for me all it is to me; is metro beach with a row of bars in front of it.

I'll head north any day over heading south.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
On a cold November day several years ago, I was taking some of my friends down to Colchester Reef for a dive trip. Left Clinton River at 6AM to beautiful skies and cut across LSC like it was melted butter. Heard there were winds coming out of the Northwest in Lake Erie, but by the time we were supposed to get there they were supposed to shift to the North. Incredibly nice cruise down Detroit River, except for the fact it was very cold out, so we fired up a small heater in the cabin. It (and all of us breathing) made so much moisture that the windows all fogged up and we couldn't see a thing. Hit Lake Erie and I thought we somehow crossed into the Pacific. We went from pretty much calm river to 8 footers coming out of the Southwest.

We made about 5 miles and then turned around and headed back. I never noticed "big rolling waves" before on the lakes, but I certainly had my fill that day. One of my friends described the view...

sky, water, sky, water, sky, water...........

Glad I wasn't paying $3 or $4 per gallon for that trip!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The worse for us was 1.5 hours to get there from Miller-

4 hours to get back to the detroit river light.

3 of us in a 25' sunsation (23'-7") was actually quite interesting. Never took a wave over the bow until we were under the Ambassador bridge. The chop/bottom just fell out from under us and a wall of water came at us!

Seriously though, maybe its the times I have been to PIB, but you guys can all have it. I may go back if my wife wants to see the place, but for me all it is to me; is metro beach with a row of bars in front of it.

I'll head north any day over heading south.
The hull on your Silverton is made for the big water and will split most waves on Lake Erie.. The last time I was on Erie (2 Years ago) we ran into 5 to 6 ftrs with an occasional 7 to 8 ftr.. The 5 to 6's we drove through them with hardly a shutter.. The 7's and 8's came over the bow (mostly because of the wind)but we were able to maintain 16 mph(our cruising speed) from PIB to Maumee Bay which was the next planned stop on our week long trip before heading home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts