Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're heading to Lexington tomorrow morning. Below is the forecast. Last year we had north winds at or above 15 knots and it wasn't fun. Are NW winds much better than N winds?

NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS...TURNING TO WEST...THEN
TURNING TO NORTHWEST LATE. MOSTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY
DURING THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
As long as you're somewhat near the coast, I would think so.

We were considering that trip this weekend, but looked in my wallet, and decided against it.

I LOVE Lake Huron!

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
212 Posts
QUOTE(steeveau @ Jul 2 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We're heading to Lexington tomorrow morning. Below is the forecast. Last year we had north winds at or above 15 knots and it wasn't fun. Are NW winds much better than N winds?

NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS...TURNING TO WEST...THEN
TURNING TO NORTHWEST LATE. MOSTLY CLOUDY...BECOMING PARTLY SUNNY
DURING THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET.

As I'm reading the forcast I'm hearing the dude's voice from the WX channel. I'll be in Port Sanilac, but not by boat. We took the boat up two years ago to PS, and it was a great trip!

Sorry, can't add a bit of value to this, but I thought it was funny. LOL

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like it may be fun, I'll be in port huron for tonight and tomorrow night, not sure if we're planning on taking a ride tomorrow, but if we were that's probably where we would go if there was going to be a pit stop involved.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
We'll be making that trip at the end of August. Sounds like it might be a little bumpy. The breakwater at Lex is easy to spot. The track I made on the chart plotter for that trip make it easy to find.

Have a good trip. And be sure to have breakfast at Whimpy's.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
You'll be fine!

We have done it in much rougher water in a much smaller boat!

Do not over think this, like so many people do. Take your time, get out in the lake see how it feels. If you do not like it, head back to PH for the evening. Just let Lexington State dock know so they will expect you Saturday morning!

Keep in mind Lake Huron produces Larger rollers then you'd be acustom too!

We ran back in a 330 Express with 30 mph wids from the North east, with gusts to 40 and we were fine. We actually went out to about 80 -100 feet of water and just carefully took our time. It was quite fun actually!

Just be smart!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A friend and I are planning on going up Friday night to watch the fireworks. Just gonna anchor in the lake then head back to Port Huron.

Do you have reservations all ready?? A couple friends made them months ago. When I tried at the end of April it was full for this weekend.

I'm no pro by far but I found winds out of the West and South to be better than North and East on Lake Huron. I had to make the trip back from Lexington last Sept in 5-7 footers with gusting East winds. NOT FUN in a 24' boat. My friend didn't have much fun either in his 33'. His wife was hanging over the side chumming for fish till we hit the bridge.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
A lot depends on the day before too. There can be big rollers without wind.

But, it's only 20 miles of open water. That's nothin'!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be right about over thinking things. Engineers have a tendency to do that.

Last year we stayed at Oldford's Marina. This year we planned early and got a slip at the state marina across the harbor. I'd recommend that anyone make this trip. Small town america on the Fourth of July complete with fireworks and parade is awesome. After a rough ride up Lake Huron was almost dead calm for the time we were there and the ride back. Morning coffee in the dinghy on the big lake was something I'll never forget.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(steeveau @ Jul 2 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You may be right about over thinking things. Engineers have a tendency to do that.

Last year we stayed at Oldford's Marina. This year we planned early and got a slip at the state marina across the harbor. I'd recommend that anyone make this trip. Small town america on the Fourth of July complete with fireworks and parade is awesome. After a rough ride up Lake Huron was almost dead calm for the time we were there and the ride back. Morning coffee in the dinghy on the big lake was something I'll never forget.

Beautiful! When all the elements are right, there's nothing better!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
AP- Isn't that the truth!!!

Grand Traverse bay heading towards Charlevoix

Bauers Harbor Grand Traverse Bay- I was the one diving! I guess my uncle was nervous to dive into 15-20' of water! LOL

Tawas Harbor as we left- What a perfect day this was!

Lexington after the storms had passed- Great Evening this was!!!

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Awesome photos and memories!

It's the damnedest thing though, no matter how much ya do stuff like that, it's never enough! Or maybe it's just me -- a chronic boater!

View attachment 63369

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jul 2 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AP- Isn't that the truth!!!

Nice! Bill and I want to do a Tawas trip one of these years.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Jul 6 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sunsation98 @ Jul 2 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AP- Isn't that the truth!!!

Nice! Bill and I want to do a Tawas trip one of these years.

When we were there, a couple pulled in next to us in a mid 80's 270 Sundancer. They had come from Algonac Harbor club. The did the drive straight through and were there by Dinner. That didnt seem to bad.

We left Bay city at 7 am one morning and made it to The Belle Isle Bridge (Group Detroit USCG, we moved an old school 41' Around for winter work) by Dinner time also. So its Definitly Doable, but is a very long run for one day!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a great trip. The weather was perfect. I recommend this trip anyone. It's amazing how much quicker the ride home is when you're going with the current rather than against it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Nice! Glad you had fun!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
We'll be there at the end of August

1 - 20 of 22 Posts