Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be fishing Lake Orion next week with some friends.
Can somebody give me some tips on catching Mr. Bass out there
haven't been there yet this year.
What seems to be working?
thanks for input
sl

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
There's a main lake depth, which is 70feet. Find the drop off on the south end of that hole. work the drop off real good and slow ,using 3in berkley power grubs married with a 1/8oz. round ball jig head. Use the lightest line you can. Preferably smoke fireline in the 4 or 6 lb. size. There should be excellent cabbage weeds there. Find the south end visually and cast north letting the jig fall fall fall. I just slammed them that way a few years ago this time of year. Start with white grub. Also purple K&E worms work good with the white dots on it. You should do well. Also there was a walleye plant there years ago. The drop off is sharp so know that just cast to it and let the lure fall....

h2o good luck!!!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't waste your time. Lake Orion has been really bad this year. The Wednesday night GNT has required little more than 9lbs to win. The same two guys win every single week and they are the only two guys bringing in limits. Everyone else brings in between 0 and 3 fish.

I you want to fish North Oakland county just for fun, then go to Lakeville and burn a white spinnerbait. You'll catch Pike all day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pike are EVERYWHERE in Lakeville. I love taking my wife and kids there. I just head straight into the wind and let it drift us across the lake while we burn spinnerbaits or shallow running crankbaits.

Lakeville used to be 12 or 13 small lakes that were flooded into one big lake. It consists of mostly 6' deep flats with several deep pockets (the original small lakes). A good topo map will really help you there.

Most of the Pike will come off submerged weeds on the flats and edges of the deep pockets.

I've also caught pike in 9 to 12 feet using a variety of T-rigged soft plastics.

Basically, do whatever you want and you'll catch them. If you can't catch pike on Lakeville, start playing golf...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lakeville is the approx. the same size as Lake Orion (475 acres). A 23' boat should be ok. They have your standard DNR ramp with docks and two paved ramps with plenty of parking and good turn-a-round.

I think you'll be fine.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Well I fished Lakeville Lake from 1929 up until a few years ago. This was my 3rd home it Was Clawson, Lake St Clair and Lakeville. The outside edge of the old stump field on the western part of the lake just past the island was always a hot spot for big pike. The other place I use to fish was the north shore. There was a big weed flat that ran out to deep water there and the Pike would cruise the edge of it all the time.
Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Your Welcome
Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
Marke, I'm impressed. Fairly new to the state and you can already recite the history of Lakeville Lake..! Now CUT IT OUT..!! Thats my lake..! Pike it does have, and lots...but have you found the abundant LM's in there..? I have, and I'm not spillin...!!

Smitty

P.S. - Keep it up and I will be waitin for you on your way to work....!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Smitty,

I've picked up few LM's in there but it's been far from "abundant"....LOL Nothing of any decent size either. One of our GNT Wednesday nights was there and Craig and I weighed in 1 fish. I think Kyle Greene and his dad won that one with about 9 or 10 lbs.

Marke

Oh, and you can wait for me all you want. I can't speed in Troy anway.....there too much freakin' TRAFFIC!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of the stumps I found are on the north end and west end of the lake. Many are just under the water and a few on the northern end are a fairly good distance from shore. My advice is to cruise around the lake and get familiar with it. (The water is clear enough to easily see the stumps) Lakeville is only about 450 acres with lots of deep holes. There's a bait shop located just east of the boat launch that has maps showing lake depths and the location of Stumpy Cove..... Lots of Pike on in a small bay on the northern end of the lake and I've never seen any stumps there... and no water skiers..... which can be a real pain in the you know where........ Great lake for Bass fishing as well as Pike.....

Good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey Bronzeback,

I tried to e-mail you back and you're right, your e-mail is screwy right now.

The GNT on wednesday night is a team event. I coulb be mistaken but I think most of Doug's t's are team events.

Anyway, you can find more info here.

www.gntfish.com

good luck,

Marke

1 - 20 of 28 Posts