Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 30 year absence I will be visiting Lake St. Clair in late May. I was lucky enough to have met Homer LaBlanc back in 71 when I was a teenager. He invited me into his home and he even gave me 2 swim whizz lures. Just wondering if Homer is still alive? I wonder if he would remember me? Also did some fishing while I was there. An area called the "dumping grounds". Is this still a good spot for walleye? Would also like to try for some smallmouth. Any suggestions? I am looking for accomodations. Does anyone know where I can rent a cottage or trailer near the lake? Thank for all your help in advance.
Sammy

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Dumping grounds still produce good walleye.

Bass season is closed in May and will open the 3rd Sat. in June which is June 19th so you know.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sorry to say that Homer passed away several years ago. The man was a wealth of knowledge on musky trolling. He even designed several of his own lures.
BTW Homer LeBlanc was the first Michigan angler to be inducted into the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have not made it into the Hall yet but my books have. 8 of them in fact with another going in next year. Come to the show at Gibraltar in mt Clemens this weekend Sammyonebeer There will be a couple of seminars on muskie fishing in Lake St Clair. Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Muskybob: Would be kind of hard to do from Pa. Thanks for the offer. Pwood: Sad to hear about Homer. I still have the lures he gave me, and the book. Do you have any idea what became of the Chicken bone lure? He showed it to me when I was there. In my opinion it is a national treasure and belongs in a museum! H2O: Thanks for the info, If I remember correctly, Anchor Bay is at the North end of the lake right? How far is this from the dumping grounds? I would like to get as close as possible.
Sammy

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
It's on the otherside of the lake from the dumping grounds. It would be a haul. I'm not sure of other places to stay near the dumps, but maybe someone else does. Maybe you can rent a slip in one of the marina's near the dumps. check the site below this post.

h2o<---says good luck.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Sammyonebeer: I'm going to be at the Pittsburgh Muskie Expo in March. I have booth #44 corner of the second aisle. So stop in and say Hi. Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Sammyonebeer I have no books to haulk or presentations to give,,,,, just wanted to say sorry about your freind who passed.......if he showed you fishing in Lake Saint Clare......you shared a great time with a great guy, The lake still yeilds up some good fish ya the Dumps are down on the South end of the lake almost maybe a mile to a half from the river mouth,,, did very well out there last year,,,,if you have sonar she will come up to 10 11 even 9 Feet along side of the shipping channel,,stay in the edges of the dump on the drop off's........ if you head out good luck oh and Sammy please have more than one beer................

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
High mike, slow the trolling speed down LOL

h2o

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am sorry to say Sammy can't handle more than one beer! My friend, Johnny6pack more than makes up for it!! Can't wait to get on the water. Maybe I will run into some of you guys. If you see a white sea nymph fishing machine with a dude barfing (chuming) over the side thats me. Johnny will be drinking a double and cooking fillets on a habachee.
Sammy

·
Registered
70 Posts
I remember reading many articles about Homer Lablanc and Lake St. Clair. Here is one that appeared in the News in 1996.

www.toothycritters.com/leblanc.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts