Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had all the time and all the money in the world......

how would you go about catching a trophy pike on the Lake St. Clair hardwater?

what about a walleye?

And this is an unrelated question, but how come it's so much harder to catch walleye through the ice than on water on Lake St. Clair? Would it be easier to catch walleye if they entire lake froze over?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I would have to agree if the lake were completely froze over it would be easier. I have a tendency to believe the walleye hit deeper water when it gets cold. But I am in no way a walleye guy, I just fish if i catch something great if i don't great doesn't bother me either way. If I was living off fish then I would try harder but I don't So I won't.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
My guess is it's so much more difficult because of the very limited amount of water you can cover. When trolling or drifting you can cover miles of water in a day. When ice fishing you're covering a much smaller section of the water. For fishing you usually only need a spot. For ice fishing you often need the spot on the spot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jan 4 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if i had all the money in the world i would be down in the florida keys catchin Goliath Grouper

same here

for pike tips up with suckers or spears them best place when the water clears up would be fairhaven
or the salt river area walleyes only got one thought the ice in 12 years of ice fishin llke st clair and that was
bye the salt river

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jan 4 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would have to agree if the lake were completely froze over it would be easier. I have a tendency to believe the walleye hit deeper water when it gets cold. But I am in no way a walleye guy, I just fish if i catch something great if i don't great doesn't bother me either way. If I was living off fish then I would try harder but I don't So I won't.

Yeah that's a good point. But then why is it so much easier (at least for me) to catch panfish? You would think it would be hard as well. Unless all the panfish congregate more to the shallows when it gets colder.

And in regards to a big pike, what about the canadian side of the lake, like somewhere in Mitchell's bay? Also, you hear the spear fisherman do pretty well in Muscamoot sometimes.

Thanks for all the replies guys - really appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.