Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the South Channel and the Middle Channel in front of Big Musscamoot is alot of cement piled up who knows about this area!!!!!!!! Wow i have no idea why this hazard isn't marked off to warn boater's to avoid this area. I wonder how many boaters have hit this. There's a bunch of rock pile's there and you can see this barely once your close to it. I can only imagine the damage this has caused. Has anyone hit this. Also who else but me thinks this should be marked to help boaters from smacking this? I just have no idea why this exist's, meaning that it's not marked to warn boaters.... Help!!!!!!!!!!

h2o<-----------wants this area marked off!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Are you referring to the area near Sand Island? I know there are more "islands" popping up since the water level has decreased....

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No John, i don't think so. It's between the South and Middle Channel about a mile or so a little west of big musscamoot bay. On maps it's marked Hazard Rock Piles. But there's nothing marking it out there. I'm just concerned about it and if someone was going fast and hit this it could do alot of damage and I just don't want anyone to poss. get hurt.. I've known about it for years but with the water level down the tips of the cement show now. It's out there and nothing marks it. In the middle of nowhere is why i'm concerned about it and would really like to see this area marked some how. I'm even will to do leg work to solve this problem before someone gets hurt.

h2o<----------deeply concerned

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Do you have the GPS coords? I run through that area all the time and sure don't want to hit anything. I have sand island and a couple of the other high spots noted but I have never seen the concrete you mentioned.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the end of the middle channel between Bouy R-N "4" and R "6" FIR there's hazard marked on the map. I just think it should be marked somehow. So nothing can go wrong.

h2o

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
If it is the one north of Sand Island on this map, it has been poking its head up for a few years, especially in the fall as water levels are dropping. Dont forget that the wind blowing the water in or out really effects water levels on the pond too.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes John that's it, sorry i don't have the GPS and didn't know how to mark it to send you, But that's it. We were blasting by there and i said to my brother HEY!!!!!!!!! Look out I just feel that area should have some kind of marker to warn others. Thanks John for jumping on this.

h2o<----------hope's this warn's others

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
A few years back sand island was just under the surface...I remember seeing it as white caps on a rather windy day, the the next time out a seagull was standing on it, but it was still under the water.

As the water levels drop (and I hope they dont) I am sure someone will mark it as they have sand island.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What can i do to see this marking of that hazard gets done immediately: I feel it's at that point now and has been. If i knew of a avenue to proceed with i'll do it. I would not like to see this hazard become a statistic. Maybe i should call the Army Corp.of engineers. Any #'s would help me. Or if you know who i should contact i will. Thanks if there's anything you know i should do John. I hope you agree something should be done about this.

h2o<----------grateful

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
The one that you are reffering to is just Southeast of the 1MC bouy and is just below the surface. I have seen sand on this spot but not the concrete (not saying there isn't, I've just never seen it). Typically when running through this area I will take 1 of 2 approaches because of the many sand bars in the area. 1 I will run South past the 1MC marker approximately 1 mile before I cut over to the East. Or I will run through the Middle Channel to roughly the R1 bouy (on map) and then head South. Reverse this when coming from South to North. Keep in mind that wind can move these sand bars and create new ones at anytime so it is wise to give this area a wide bearth. Also when running through this area I pay close attention to any changes in water color (indicating a sand bar) or waves that may be breaking differently than the surronding water.

Sand Island is often easy to spot as it out of the water, there are often times boats beached on it, and I believe someone has even put poles with white flags on it(???). But I still see boats, mostly large cruisers run over these sand bars all the time oblivous to the danagers. Carefull guys and thanks for the heads up H20. I'm just glad the area you are talking about is one I knew of and not something new that I could have been in danger of hitting!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Another area close to here that should also be noted is the break on the North side of the of the Middle Channel towards the entrance. This area is very shallow, I usually run past the 2nd green can (as your heading out of the Middle) before I cut over to head North or into Fisher bay.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I do not know the legalities of marking a hazard on St Clair. I did have the idea about claiming Sand Island as my own a few years back. I weas going to name it Mini Island

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input gentleman: I guess i'll call the army corpe. and see what they suggest, Alex there's concrete there in that area and its alot. I hope boaters read about this area because i think it's the most dangerous area in Lake St. Clair. If something can be done on this area i feel it's for everyone's benefit, not everybody knows about it till it's too late. And we are able to do something to make the Lake as safe and possible.

h2o<-----------says beware of this area check your maps!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called the army corp. they said nothing they can do because it's not in the channel's and advised me to call the Coast Guard, so i called the Guard and the gentleman i spoke to was going to inform his supervisor and seems like there sending a boat out there to investigate. Hope they feel it necessary to mark this area. Well i did what i could do and will follow up later to see if anything is done.

h2o<-----hoping for the best!!!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just thought I'd pipe in a little as I run thru that area a lot myself as I'm sure hundreds do all the time without giving it a second thought. H2o...I agree with you 100%. H2o...as far as I know ALL these channels were dredged at one time or another by the "Army corp. of Engineers". And as far as I know ALL the little islands out in the pond were created from this dredging material i.e...Gull Island, Grass Island. Granted these are big enough to be seen and easy to avoid. But what about the others like the one we call Sand Island and the surrounding reefs? These were created by the Army corp. of Engineers. You would think common sence would prevail here. If it was man made it should be marked, either by the Amry corp. of Engineers or the Coast Guard! I think the responsible partys are just trying to pass the buck all the time by saying "buy a chart and study it". Granted that IS common sence. But I feel if they put it there they should also be responsible in marking it for the boating public! I'm also a firm believer that ALL the markers out there should be LIT!!! How much more can it cost to put a simple photo cell light on a marker. At night these hazards are even more dangerous. Someone has to be responsible for this and I believe it's both departments, "Army corp. of Engineers" and the "Coast Guard". I'd like to hear from either or both departments and not just passing the buck but for a change taking true responsiblity. And oh yea...I know it IS EVERY skippers responsibility to avoid hasards, but what about the people who put them there in the first place. Just my .02...OK maybe a little more. But I would like to see something proactivly done here instead of waiting for someone to get hurt or worse like they do on the roads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its been there for years.

I have been fishing the lake since 1974 and have always known about it.

There are a couple of more in that area you need to be careful with.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts