Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved to a canal house last fall. I'd like to take my sled out for a shakedown but I never see anyone riding out there. The canals and the bay in front of the canal are at least 6" thick but I don't know how far out I can go that has safe ice. Does anyone know the riding conditions in the area? Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott
When I was walking around out there last weekend before the snowstorm I saw some big chunks of ice here and there. Looked like big ice cubes except they were like 2' long. Wouldn't want to mix them up with drifts now that they are covered. I'm really surprised there aren't more riders out there considering how thick it is. Does that 10"to 12" ice go out pretty far?

·
Registered
299 Posts
QUOTE(wvernon @ Feb 12 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Scott
When I was walking around out there last weekend before the snowstorm I saw some big chunks of ice here and there. Looked like big ice cubes except they were like 2' long. Wouldn't want to mix them up with drifts now that they are covered. I'm really surprised there aren't more riders out there considering how thick it is. Does that 10"to 12" ice go out pretty far?

i was out last weekend by the coast guard station and there were a couple of guys out about300 yards out from there. im not sure how thick the ice is out there but they had a quad. i also have seen a few people with sleds in the coves north of ten mile

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
stay inside the first pressure crack and you should be ok. Watch out in front of Ardmore canal, it was questionable a few weeks back but should be good now. Saw a sled coming from 9 mile area to the Library the other day.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Feb 12 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>stay inside the first pressure crack and you should be ok. Watch out in front of Ardmore canal, it was questionable a few weeks back but should be good now. Saw a sled coming from 9 mile area to the Library the other day.
Good advice
When my friend live on Maple we would ride close to shore up to Metro and back. Never ventured out far east.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Or just buy a Mach-Z like me and fear nothing at 160 mph.....lol. Really just watch where you ride and if you encounter open water keep that throttle pinned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.