Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody knew of a good spot to go swimming in lake st. clair. I have a 16 ft lund rebel and i wanna use it to go swimming in the lake on hot days like today. jw if there is any sandbars or something that are good for swimming.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
lotsa good spots....just look for all the boats anchored in the same area.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
just south of selfridge there is a nice place if your on this side of the lake where you launching from

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
bunch of them all over the lake, but this should be in the Boathouse forum. Mods can we move it for him?
That said I like the area by Art Van's home in Grosse Point. Warm shallow water, clean hard sandy bottom and not a lot of other boats there.
Munchies Bay is nice, behind MacRay's isn't bad, a little mucky in some spots but the water is nice there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Jun 24 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>just south of selfridge there is a nice place if your on this side of the lake where you launching from

ya i could launch from selfridge no problem, how far south do i go???

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey Curl,
My best place is by Strawberry Island. I launch at the Harley Ensign DNR ramp at the end of South River road on the mouth of the Clinton River. Go almost due East about 10-15 minutes and your in the 3-6 foot shallows. Drop anchor and have fun. You can actuall see it across the water if you look from the Clinton River. Seems to have decent moving water there and less stagnant water or pollution than some of the other spots on the lake.
Here is a link to the Marine cruiser website. You can zoom in and see where I'm talking about. Watch the shallows when you get near the island. Study the map. Some good sandy areas there.

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
its right infront of makinray's 3 minute ride you cant miss all the other boats there its a family friendly place nothing to wild

·
Registered
71 Posts
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Jun 24 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its right infront of makinray's 3 minute ride you cant miss all the other boats there its a family friendly place nothing to wild

I second in front of Mac In Rays, water is always warm and we have spent a few days there. Also, just south of Moross near Grosse Pointe Park is good too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Strawberry is nice. Fishers bay. Muscamoot (somehow warmer than everywhere else). I haven't tried outside MacRay's but I see other boats there. The other side of seaway island (east side) (It's been a long time since I've been out there).

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I wouldn't go to Strawberry in a 16 footer unless there was no wind and during the week. You're completely in the open out there and its almost always at least somewhat choppy.

·
Registered
702 Posts
QUOTE(Jager Dave @ Jun 26 2009, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldn't go to Strawberry in a 16 footer unless there was no wind and during the week. You're completely in the open out there and its almost always at least somewhat choppy.

Not to mention trying to get out of the clinton river on a weekend in a boat that small is a trick. Of course you could use the side entrance but the lake does kick up between the river and the island.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Out in front of Mac Ray Harbor. Lots of bays to take cover in if the weather gets nasty

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Jun 25 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>swim in that lake?? pppffttt! I would never swim where I piss.

Are you kidding? When was the last time I was sick? About 10 years ago. Why? Because I swim where I piss. If you try to live a steril life, you lose....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts