Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Is it true that the weeds are growing back this year in Lakeville Lake? Last year the lake was barren of weeds (because of chemical treating). It was very bizarre knowing how weedy that lake was in the past seeing no weeds in it. Lastly, how has the bass fishing been this year? I caught alot of short fish last year.

On Saturday I took my g/f's 9 year old son out on Stoney. He had only been fishing two times prior in his life. We fished senkos (the slogan for that brand should be "so simple a 9 year old can fish them"). He caught the first fish which ended up being a 15.25 inch largemouth. He was stoked after that, I wish I had my camera with me. We ended up with 7 largemouth in 2.5 hours, he caught 3, 2 fish in the 15 inch range, 2 fish in the 16 inch range and 1 fish in the 17 inch range. I caught most of my fish on a wacky-rig senko fishing isolated weed patches. No depths known since we were fishing from a rental boat.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has been on Lakeville Lake this year??? Last year it looked like a swimming pool, I was just curious if the weeds were back as it will help me determine how to fish it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
the mow the weeds on lakeville in between sprayings the also mow weeds in stoney Although i haven't been there lately so take my word for it

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Does it cost anything to enter lakeville? I plan on trying that lake for some slab crappies. If there's weeds I plan on trying to draw them out on my fly rod.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The standard DNR launch fees are charged on Lakeville Lake. I have caught crappie before on Lakeville Lake but the best place to fish crappie (IMO) is Stoney Creek, huge crappie there including the State Record caught there (19 inch and over 3 lbs).

·
Registered
575 Posts
fished a bass tourny there 2 weeks ago. the weeds were not that high yet. there sure are lots of stumps and tall trees under the water at the east end. did catch lots of small pike on a jig. there should be lots of gills on beds there. normally there are signs at the launch when they spray. was on Orion saturday and it looked like they had sprayed the main lake. it was real murkey. lake under the bridge was clean. there were a ton of gills on beds there.

·
Banned
187 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jul 1 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The standard DNR launch fees are charged on Lakeville Lake. I have caught crappie before on Lakeville Lake but the best place to fish crappie (IMO) is Stoney Creek, huge crappie there including the State Record caught there (19 inch and over 3 lbs).

Just to clarify about the state record that was a white crappie. The state record black crappie was caught on Lincoln Lake in 1947. I catch almost all black crappie out at Stoney. Do you catch a lot of white crappie there? What do you use?

·
Registered
739 Posts
If I catch a crappie its a complete accident. I mostly bass fish but do catch them occassionally on spinnerbaits and even senkos. I did not know that regarding the white crappie. Does one type taste better than the other or are they both good eating?

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 29 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it true that the weeds are growing back this year in Lakeville Lake? Last year the lake was barren of weeds (because of chemical treating). It was very bizarre knowing how weedy that lake was in the past seeing no weeds in it. Lastly, how has the bass fishing been this year? I caught alot of short fish last year.

On Saturday I took my g/f's 9 year old son out on Stoney. He had only been fishing two times prior in his life. We fished senkos (the slogan for that brand should be "so simple a 9 year old can fish them"). He caught the first fish which ended up being a 15.25 inch largemouth. He was stoked after that, I wish I had my camera with me. We ended up with 7 largemouth in 2.5 hours, he caught 3, 2 fish in the 15 inch range, 2 fish in the 16 inch range and 1 fish in the 17 inch range. I caught most of my fish on a wacky-rig senko fishing isolated weed patches. No depths known since we were fishing from a rental boat.

not sure if ur still on line... i am an expert at lakeville lk. ive been fishing there every weekend for my entire life. mostly a descent pike lake but i catch really nice bass and perch there also. the weeds are growing. they do some clean up on the lake 4 weeds. u just need to know where and when 2 go. last week a guy caught a 26 in walleye there. i caught a 22 incher. starting to produce a lot of nice eyes. they started stocking in 2000. bass fishing has been on fire all yr. i usually fish 4 pike. the pike average 25 to 35 inches. there are some lunkers though. usually catch about 20 in a 4 hr day. constant action. really fun time. i only catch and release. let me know if u need any more info on lakeville. happy to help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE(sampson @ Jul 1 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 29 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it true that the weeds are growing back this year in Lakeville Lake? Last year the lake was barren of weeds (because of chemical treating). It was very bizarre knowing how weedy that lake was in the past seeing no weeds in it. Lastly, how has the bass fishing been this year? I caught alot of short fish last year.

not sure if ur still on line... i am an expert at lakeville lk. ive been fishing there every weekend for my entire life. mostly a descent pike lake but i catch really nice bass and perch there also. the weeds are growing. they do some clean up on the lake 4 weeds. u just need to know where and when 2 go. last week a guy caught a 26 in walleye there. i caught a 22 incher. starting to produce a lot of nice eyes. they started stocking in 2000. bass fishing has been on fire all yr. i usually fish 4 pike. the pike average 25 to 35 inches. there are some lunkers though. usually catch about 20 in a 4 hr day. constant action. really fun time. i only catch and release. let me know if u need any more info on lakeville. happy to help.

the crappy are almost non existant on the lake anymore. used to be real good. i still get some every once in a while. usually small. hard 2 find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE(sampson @ Jul 1 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 29 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it true that the weeds are growing back this year in Lakeville Lake? Last year the lake was barren of weeds (because of chemical treating). It was very bizarre knowing how weedy that lake was in the past seeing no weeds in it. Lastly, how has the bass fishing been this year? I caught alot of short fish last year.

Sounds like a great place to spend a day fishing. Where is Lakeville lk located.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE(sylvan19 @ Jul 1 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sampson @ Jul 1 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 29 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is it true that the weeds are growing back this year in Lakeville Lake? Last year the lake was barren of weeds (because of chemical treating). It was very bizarre knowing how weedy that lake was in the past seeing no weeds in it. Lastly, how has the bass fishing been this year? I caught alot of short fish last year.

Sounds like a great place to spend a day fishing. Where is Lakeville lk located.

take rochester rd north until u hit the lake. few miles past 32 mi rd. turn right and there is a boat rental. turn left and a public launch is a quarter mile down on right. boat rental is called skips. only row boats. bring a motor if ur gonna rent.

·
Banned
187 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jul 1 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If I catch a crappie its a complete accident. I mostly bass fish but do catch them occassionally on spinnerbaits and even senkos. I did not know that regarding the white crappie. Does one type taste better than the other or are they both good eating?
Not sure on the different taste. I just like to catch the big ones for fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts