Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

lamprey ?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Large Mouth Peks 
#1 ·
I've never caught a fish with a lamprey on it, but was wondering what is the best way to remove one from the fish?

#4 ·
normally they just fall off i usually find em on the floor of the boat after netting a fish. im not sure but i think is due to being out of the water and they release hoping to return to the water. but they sure do live a long time out of the water if you toss em in a dry bucket

#5 ·
QUOTE(tracker73 @ Aug 5 2009, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've never caught a fish with a lamprey on it, but was wondering what is the best way to remove one from the fish?

I'm not sure if anyone here was aware of the lamprey infestation in our state back in the late '50's I think. At that time I lived in northern Michigan and the lake I lived on as well as the rivers feeding it were filled with them. Then the DNR came in and put something in the rivers and the lake which killed them.

I can remember walking along the river bank with a bucket picking up all the dead eels along the river.........

Back at that time virtually all the trout you caught would either have a lamprey attached to it or show the scar of where a lamprey had been........They were really bad news.

#9 ·
QUOTE(BASSTEK @ Aug 5 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One of my fish today had one of those slimy suckers on it.
View attachment 65030

Thats almost like a cute little leach compared to the friggin snake below!!!!

QUOTE(SeaSlut @ Aug 5 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I catch them when snorkeling. Cut the heads off, send them back.

Where in gods name did that come from?

#17 ·
Yeah, LM it swam right by us with its head under water. Then it would pull its head up and look at us. I thought it was a Cormerant at first and my brother said I think its a Loon. A minute later it gave that distinctive call that they give and we knew for sure it was a Loon. Been fishing out there 25 yrs first one Ive seen.

#18 ·
Wow loons, that's kewl!

As far as the lamprey I squish'em with my pliers. I've been thinking about hookin' one up to try and use it as bait. Should hold up to casting for a while depending on how I rig it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.