Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here goes, a guy who has told and taught me alot about fishing mentioned eyeballing musky, we were talking about me getting a bigger net cus a cradle is nye impossible by myself, he said aw you can just eyeball em, he said when you get em along side the boat you put your thumb over one eye and middle finger over the other and squeeze and when the mouth pops open thats tight enough, then you can pull out your lure(with pliers), I have never seen or heard of this but this guy is a pretty serious fisherman so I believe him, any takers on this one?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
lol

Well I beleive it could work..if you want a blind Muskie. Its mouth opens from its eyes being dislocated from its eye sockets.lol jeez I sure hope you DO NOT try this! Not to mention Id love to see some one grab a 50"er by the head and control it with two fingers. I hope he's just telling you a fish story.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Don't sound like it's a good idea. I mean, if you tripped and fell out of a boat and I reached down and grabbed you by the eye sockets, I bet you would open your mouth too, AND i'd get you in the boat....

Would you rather have me take you out of the water another way?

Eye's are precious bro, of all animals on our planet. I would suggest never picking up any fish by it's eye sockets. Should be common sense stuff but I guess not.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well this guy's been fishing 50 plus years and his family owned a bait shop for a long time down on jefferson, everytime I've gone fishing with him he knew rt where to go, how to fish, and what time we should be there, but I did laugh when he told me this and may have hurt his feelings a lil, but he said it does not hurt em it just immobilizes em,and he said if you look in the mouth while doing it you can see where the eyeballs are pushing against the inside of the mouth, and he said this is not for picking up a big fish, just getting your lure back, and also works on pike, hey its just info I had never heard,

By the way your grabbing the skull and pushing on the eyes, we have caught and released alot of salmon so I know he wouldn't hurt a fish for spite, but yeah it's wierd.

I'm interested to see what Mr Brunner says about this, and I don't plan on using it I'm just relating a story that was passed on to me by a guy who has caught and released alot more fish than me, for sure, and he actually goes out and does it, not talkin bout it on the puter, So everybody relax.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I started laughing pretty hard when i started reading this, then realized it wasnt a joke! Bad idea, could you imagine reaching down to pull off this trick, then the fish thrashes and embeds the rest of the hooks into your hand! Then you got a 20-30 lb fish on one end of a hook, and the other end of the hook barried into your hand. or best case senario you get the hooks out and the fish is blind...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Muskeye @ Jul 20 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is exactly how the old timers used to do it!!! That's not a myth. I am surprised Bob has not spoke up on this one, but I am sure he will. Not everyone had fancy boats and nets back then.

we used to do alot of dumb things but time and wisdom has lead to better techniques.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(troller11 @ Jul 20 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Muskeye @ Jul 20 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is exactly how the old timers used to do it!!! That's not a myth. I am surprised Bob has not spoke up on this one, but I am sure he will. Not everyone had fancy boats and nets back then.

we used to do alot of dumb things but time and wisdom has lead to better techniques.

Not calling you out Gldnrcher, just the whole technique. People should know better!! We are all relaxed

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Ya that's how they old-timers did it but it's not a good idea.

Doctors used to think that using leeches to suck out a patient's blood would heel them. This was done to George Washington & he bled to death. There are some cultures that practice the leech technique today but it's not a good idea just like squeezing a fish's eyes isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
My grandfather taught me that one a long time ago......a very long time ago. I recall discussions in outdoor magazines in the late 60's or early 70's that determined that it was really hard on the fish. It seems to immobilize them quite well but I would think that getting your eyes jammed into your skull would immobilize most creatures. They don't make white canes for fish. As someone else said, there are much better ways too handle fish than was done "back in the day".

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Only do it if you keep it. It doesn't even make sense to grab there eyes. Common sense should kick in don't you think. dah...

h2o

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.