Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a laptop computer and need suggestions/opinions. So far I'm considering either a HP, Compaq, or Dell. I would like to get the most for my money... guess it comes down to price, best service, warranty, etc. If the computer needs service or warranty work, I don't want to ship it across the world for weeks at a time. In house service/repairs preferably. Has anyone had any experience, either good or bad with any???

Thanks,
Jere

·
12,052 Posts
HP and Compaq are the same company now and Dell rated worst for quality and needed repairs on consumer reports.

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE(Focker @ Mar 24 2004, 09:00 PM)...If the computer needs service or warranty work, I don't want to ship it across the world for weeks at a time. In house service/repairs preferably....
I have an older Compaq and just had the motherboard replaced last week under a 3 yr. warranty. The work was diagnosed while I waited, and completed the next day. Work done at walk-in service center in Farmington Hills.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
I have an HP and love it. I've had it for over two years and have not had to send it in for repairs.

(And you don't have to worry about repairs because our new sponsor, Advicon Computer Services, will fix it for you

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I use a Dell Latitude C640 and I love it.
Fast, no problems and oh ya, it's free.
It's my work PC

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Focker, I have worked with hundreds of HP's, IBM's, Comaq's and Dell's over the past 7 years. Hands down, go with the Dell. You can't beat the price and the customer service is usually great, just call during the day so you don't get your call routed to India. The company I work for right now only buys IBM, we have no choice, corporate decides. I want to strangle someone from IBM weekly!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have an IBM as my work laptop (x31, tablet style/very tiny, and GREAT for travelling)

I have a Dell laptop at home, and it has been great. My opinion is that they do offer the best service in the industry.

Hammer is correct, HP and Compaq merged, however you can still buy HP or Compaq technology, they are still manufactured seperately.

What are your uses/needs for the laptop? If you travel a ton, I would consider the IBM. If not, stick with Dell. I agree with Milord, IBM is way tough to work with.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the opinions. I basically need the laptop to do my house bids using MicroSoft Excel and Word, house floorplans and elevations using AutoCad2000, create slideshows of houses and floorplans that we have built to display at Builder's Shows and appointments, etc. so I need something portable. My home computer now is a Pentium III 500 and works fine for what I do... unless I'm scanning in some high resolution pics.

Oh yeah, I also would like to have all of my MP3's on it so we can play our tunes out in the bay this summer instead of constantly changing cd's.

Would Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack be a good place to buy??? or order direct??? off internet???

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
For Dell, go right to their website.

For most others, I've found www.TigerDirect.com to have the best prices on the net.

I'm shopping right now, too! Thanks for the input everyone!

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, let me know what you find.

This one looks good to me and costs less than anticipated... maybe buy a few upgrades and goodies! laptop

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a Dell and am very happy with it and their service. A couple months ago, one of the battery latches broke. I called them and they came out the next day and replaced all the outside plastics (top and bottom) at no charge! They'll replace hinges, anything that goes wrong or wears out within the warranty period.

They are more expensive than the laptops at Best Buy, or other computer stores, but I think their service is worth it. Not to mention you can spec one out exactly how you want it which is nice. Just my $.02

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have two Dell's and a Compaq at work. The newer Dell C600 is great, compact, fast etc. The Compaq is the oldest but still a very good machine. Dropped it the first week I had it and broke the clips that hold the monitor closed. Still rattle with them, but runs fine.

The one Dell is a brick and a half. It is huge and hard for me to use the keyboard. Don't know know what it is with this one.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Any more opinions on this? 3crabs wants to buy me one so I can work from anyplace
. Hint, hint, my b-day is in June

Another question....I've always put together our pc's. Can this be done with a laptop? That way I could use the m-board and other components of my choice, not a manufacturers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It can be done, but not very economically. At least I haven't found a place that has laptop components at a decent price. You can get the components on eBay, but that can be a little risky.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Focker @ Mar 26 2004, 09:08 AM)Steve, let me know what you find.

This one looks good to me and costs less than anticipated... maybe buy a few upgrades and goodies! laptop
I've actually been considering a really small, lightweight model like this DELL: D400

·
Registered
248 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro @ Mar 28 2004, 07:34 PM)i have a Dell Inspiron 8200 and love it !!!!!
shaun
I have the same one also and like it. It is somewhat of a brick though as far as weight.

Steve, definitely go with a light one if you're going to be carrying it. When I ordered mine, I didn't think a couple pounds would make a difference, but it REALLY does!

From the other laptops that I've seen, the Dell LCD's are much brighter which is nice. Just my $.02.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(Intimidator @ Mar 28 2004, 08:08 PM)Steve, definitely go with a light one if you're going to be carrying it. When I ordered mine, I didn't think a couple pounds would make a difference, but it REALLY does!
What weight would you say is too much???

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm trying to decide if I want a larger display like a 15.4" or 17". Those models seem to be a lil on the heavier side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts