Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught some nice largemouth this weekend and the insides of there mouths were blood red. i also caught some smallmouth that looked normal. i have heard the term red mouth for walleye. i have never saw this on a bass before. anyone got any ideas why.????

thanks

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Likely just blood vessels that burst. Not much to worry about.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have heard that crawdad excuse for years....actually cut one open about 10 years ago and it was full of shad and bluegill, so I dont believe the crawdad story anymore.

I dont know what causes it, but the fish are like that early spring.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I asked that question at this site waiting for a reply and will post it as soon as it arive's. This site is ask a Marine Biologist.

http://www.mesa.edu.au/ask/askquestion.asp

h2o<--says i'll find out i hope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey dartag, the concensis apeers to be ' eating crawfish ', I inquired in other forums. So get some more of those majic lures and GO FISHING..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
maybe they're just cold?... my cheeks get red when they're cold?!?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
One reason could be from working on the spawning beds. Removing unwanted gravel with thier mouth could put extra wear and tear on the area on and around the mouth. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Maybe there females and it's lipstick

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think they get new teeth every year
.....was the red typically where there teeth are ?...inside the lips, roof of mouth and near there gullet?....... I always see this late ice fishing and early spring in largemouths.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Czar @ Apr 14 2004, 04:32 AM)One reason could be from working on the spawning beds. Removing unwanted gravel with thier mouth could put extra wear and tear on the area on and around the mouth. Just a theory, but it makes sense to me.
That's always been one of my theories as well. Same reason why sometimes you will see largies with "yellow" belly...

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Who's "yellow belly" and where do I find him???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its a conditin on St. Clair that affects both smallies and largemouth its called : Rippinous lippinous outofseasosous.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Mark M @ Apr 14 2004, 04:27 PM)Its a conditin on St. Clair that affects both smallies and largemouth its called : Rippinous lippinous outofseasosous.

Good one stranger....

Mini

1 - 15 of 15 Posts