Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out from 9:30pm-12:30am for some 'eyes. Fished DR east of Ambassador Bridge (breakwalls). No eyes for me for the 3rd straight time out, but did pick up 4 smallies, 1 of which was decent. Fish caught on small unpainted jigs with either gulp! leech in goby colour or white twister (two-tail). I think I need to stay out later, as most of my wally's this summer have come after 2am. In one spot I like to fish, I spotted several wally's (including a few real nice ones) swimming in just a couple feet of water. Still cannot find something they'll feed on consistently...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Aug 11 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Went out from 9:30pm-12:30am for some 'eyes. Fished DR east of Ambassador Bridge (breakwalls). No eyes for me for the 3rd straight time out, but did pick up 4 smallies, 1 of which was decent. Fish caught on small unpainted jigs with either gulp! leech in goby colour or white twister (two-tail). I think I need to stay out later, as most of my wally's this summer have come after 2am. In one spot I like to fish, I spotted several wally's (including a few real nice ones) swimming in just a couple feet of water. Still cannot find something they'll feed on consistently...

Hey Barnz,
Thanks for the report. I was wondering how things have been going to the South.
Good luck next time out.
PS- if you can see them in the shallows, try casting out some Bombers, Shad raps, or some Rapala's, works for us off the pier in Tawas.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTEHey Barnz,
Thanks for the report. I was wondering how things have been going to the South.
Good luck next time out.
PS- if you can see them in the shallows, try casting out some Bombers, Shad raps, or some Rapala's, works for us off the pier in Tawas.

The past 2 weeks or so on the DR have been pretty good at night; I've seen walleye caught (either myself, a buddy, or random people fishing) almost every night, but well past dusk. Anytime they're being caught from shore is pretty darn good in my book!

Most of the wally's I've caught have been on rapalas or wally divers (floating/suspending), while I've seen them caught on jigs/twisters too. I prefer the top water stuff, but if it's windy, they're hard to cast; also, I find if the water is murky, deeper works better, hence the jigs. I usually go through my entire tackle box of jigs/cranks, 'till I find something they'll hit. Weird stuff...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(dcmprshn @ Aug 11 2009, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good job Barnz...I fish out of LaSalle...I have an open seat from time to time if you wanna give that a whirl

Thanks for the invite! I may have to take you up on that one day!

When I was younger, I used to go with my dad jigging in A'burgh. I can't remember exactly where, but it was west of Crystal Bay, and right along the channel edge. We'd get 'em all summer long there! Not always limits, but I don't think we ever got skunked. The boat has been sitting in the driveway for the better part of 15 years now, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get her going again soon (my dad has given her to me!!), since I've rekindled my love for fishing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.