Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
went out to the boat last night with the girlfriend to put the cover on before i went to bed, and decided what the heck lets go fishing. she hadnt been fishing on my boat yet. so we went out (from MI harbor) and headed a short distance to about 12 mile rd. i never trolled in that boat and wasnt sure if i could get it slow enough but gave it a try anyways...tryed a few diff lures and nothin. threw on a brown crayfish colored wiglewart on one side and a silver one on the other. and bam...the brown one hit a nice smallie...good fight. so i changed the other lure to something similar and bam! another one! this time i let her reel it in. probly shoulda let her have the first one but i just got so damn excited haha. she thought it was great and cant wait to go out fishing again! which is just fine by me.
my questions are- the absolute slowest my boat will go down to is .7 - 1 mph. is that slow enough for walleyes? obviously it caught me a few bass. and what is the ideal mph for ski's?

Water Smile Sky Azure Sleeve
Water Sky Gesture Fisherman Fish

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and i forgot to mention that i had to call it quits after the second fish when i realized my running lights were not all properly working...so those will be fixed ASAP

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
.7 - 1 MPH is pretty good trolling speed, sometimes faster is better.
Depending on what species, where, what time of year, weather conditions water clarity and waves, a little bit faster might even work well also.
My guess is the walleye might like a bit faster, but with my luck in catching then, who knows

How deep were you fishing?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
if you can get down to .7 youll never need slower heck we usually drift faster then that the way the wind is usually. plus most lures need to be used at faster speeds then that just to give the lure the proper action

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
that is too slow for walters, but its nice that you can get that slow, depending on current and wind an direction your trolling, it can be from 1.0 to 3.0 for eyes, usually around 1.5 - 22 mph, musky fishing is usually 5.0 and higher.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That is plenty slow enough for walleye. In the spring you may want to troll down to 1 mph and then as the water warms you will present baits a lot faster. Last weekend we caught walleye doing 2.5 mph as it seemed they wanted the baits a little faster. As a general rule, in the spring I start at about 1.5 mph and troll up or down depending on what is happening. In the summer I start at around 1.8 mph and work my way up from there. I agree with troller in the fact that anything under 1 mph gets kind of tough to control the boat and baits as you might be drifting faster than that.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
General starting points for trolling...

Walleyes (harnesses) 1.0 - 1.7 mph
Walleyes (crankbaits) 1.7-2.2 mph
Walleyes (spoons) 2.5 mph

Muskies (anything) 3.0 - 4.5 mph

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Cool report Smoke - always nice to get out for a quick trip and have some hookups, and get a new fisherperson in to it!

I've read a few posts lately about smallies hitting on lures being trolled, I've never done that... those are crankbaits, right? So you just let some line out and they worked their action based on your speed... were you going your slowest (I can't get my boat to troll less than about 2.5mph)?

Thanks for the info, and good luck again next time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts