Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who else on the forum will be riding their waverunner for another couple of months?

I know i'll definitely be riding at the beginning of October, not so sure on the end of October. As long as it's sunny and 55+, it's nice out in a wetsuit. That water gets cold though!

I missed half my summer with a blowed up motor, and i've been using the boat more and the jet ski less lately too. I really need to do some riding!

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
You know I'll be out there on the jet boat. I would love to get a late season run going. Glad to hear you got your ride running.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting there on the waverunner. I think I have it tuned up well now. Hopefully this motor holds up. I'm going to pull the head again pretty soon just to make sure everything is still good to go.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I guess Thursday was my last ride. New motor blew up, piston in #1 cylinder is missing a big chunk on the exhaust side.

Happened where the middle channel meets the north. Fired it up again to try to limp it home, made it to NCYC before I realized that wasn't going to happen. The fine folks eating dinner at NCYC were kind enough to share some spaghetti with me while I was waiting for my tow. Towboat US saved my a$$ again this year - it would have been a $458 tow. Instead it's just a reminder to pay that $53 towing insurance bill when it shows up this winter.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Bummer man. What do you think you will do? Re-power it or rebuild it. I forget, was this a completely new motor with a warranty?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it was a used motor.

I'm going to rebuild it, or have it rebuilt. I may just go all out. It's not a whole lot more money to go big bore, so i'll most likely do that. While i'm at it I may have it ported too.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Sep 14 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I guess Thursday was my last ride. New motor blew up, piston in #1 cylinder is missing a big chunk on the exhaust side.

Happened where the middle channel meets the north. Fired it up again to try to limp it home, made it to NCYC before I realized that wasn't going to happen. The fine folks eating dinner at NCYC were kind enough to share some spaghetti with me while I was waiting for my tow. Towboat US saved my a$$ again this year - it would have been a $458 tow. Instead it's just a reminder to pay that $53 towing insurance bill when it shows up this winter.

You are in the same boat as I am. I rebuilt the motor on mine too. Replaced the rear cylinder/piston, new rings on both cylinders, new powervalves on both cylinders, new head, new reed valves, and rebuilt the carbs. Got it in the water just in time for 4th of July, was running like a charm. By the time the end of August came I blew the front cylinder out in the S. Channel cut-off and was bobbing around trying to get a signal on my phone on one of those days where the wind is blowing strong out of the south against the current. Tow Boat U.S. gave me a free ride home as well, thank goodness for Unlimited! I think my issue is coming from oil injection, I didn't block it off when I rebuilt and I should have. I was premixing just in case it was running bad, but I was still using oil in the tank, and it was running poorly with so much extra oil in the gas. So I quit pre-mixing, oil was still flowing from the tank, but out there running in those waves revving up the engine did it in, I think...
Those cylinders are expensive. I didn't want to go re-manufactured when i rebuilt because they use sleeved cylinders instead of the nikasil plating. And to get them bored/replated is also expensive...
I'm thinking it's time to sell...

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's about $250 each to get them replated, more if you need to get them welded. Pistons run about $150 each. I'm figuring a grand to redo mine. The used motor I bought supposedly has about 40 hours on the bottom end, and about 10 hours on the top, except #2 was brand new. So i'll probably do 1 and 3 and leave #2 since it has about 5 hours on it now.

Selling would leave me in a big hole. Fixing it won't make the hole any bigger. If I sell i'm going to fix it, paint it, then sell it, i'd come out a grand ahead doing it that way vs. selling it broken.

No fun when they're broken! And this is the best time of year to ride too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.