Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
i read the article. i dont understand why the tourney organization would be involved. its too bad that a young girl lost her life,
that is obviously tragic. and dont you have to have proof of insurance ( liability ) to fish in organized tournaments? every tourney i have fished wanted proof of insurance. if you hear anymore on this, let me know, i am intersted to see how it plays out.

madman himself

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I did not read where that tournament director was a competitor. While it is always foolish to not have liability insurance, if he was not competing in the tournament he would not be required to have it.

The biggest tragedy is that some girl lost here life. My heart goes out to her family.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mini

I'm sure they hired a high price attorney to try to sue everybody that they could find associated with that person. It's like suing the bar tender who served the drunk too many drinks. Although he didn't drive the car (or in this case the boat), he was directly related to why they were there at that time and place.

The guy who didn't have insurance on his boat probably doesn't have a pot to piss in. Therefore with no insurance company to sue they have to find someone to pay compensation. That is what has become the American way.

Although I may not agree with it, I can understand where they are coming from.

There is absolutely no $ amount high enough to ease the pain of losing someone.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I agree....

My point is IF the defendant was not IN the tournament he/she would not be required to have insurance. Perhaps a new law (heaven forbid) should come of this.

I still dont see how not having insurance on his/her part would effect the fishing tournament industry with a legal precedent (sp?).

Mini

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mini

I don't know if I'm reading this right but I think it said he was on the way back to another ramp after the tournament ended. When he was questioned he probably said he was coming back from a tournament and that opened the door.

I hope that this isn't a precedent.

Btw

Don't most tournaments make you sign disclamers that they will not be held responsible for your actions??

If not they probably will start soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed that the sad part of this is the girl lost her life and we all would change that if we could, but accidents happen, and by putting a laysuit on it only makes things worse, all this does is opens more non warented lawsuits, you know like people suing Mc Donalds for being over weight let me tell you this if they would of won I would have had to go get my fair share of fat money. and spilling coffee on yourself and suing for it being hot come on stupid people use your head. And then again these lawyers are just bloodsuckers, they would get murders off for a nickle, makes me just sick, watch Bill O'reily on fox news they actually filed a suit against lawyers for defending guilty people.

see you on the water.
Rich

again were all human and are condolences go out to the family that was hurt by this accident, (not by the tounament)

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I think a start at fixing these "sue everybody even close to being involved" kinds of lawsuits is called "TORT REFORM". Can you imagine how much insurance rates, as discussed on another thread, would come down if that could be enacted at the federal level?

Jim

·
Registered
927 Posts
lawyers are ruining this country. people are " sue crazy" these days. i heard that there are more people in law school right now than there are lawyers ( dont know how true that is), but it is sad that someone lost there daughter, but i dont see how money can make the situation any better. i have lost close friends and relatives and no amount of money could change the way i feel about not having them around anymore. my cousin was severly injured in a boating/jetski accident, my aunt and uncle sued the people involved but only to cover medical expenses that they could not afford. my cousin in doin ok these days ( less one kidney and with one hell of a scar, but otherwise fine) but they arent rich now because of it. they only sued for the cost of the medical bills. and as far as the fat people sueing mcdonalds, thats just sad....

madman himself

·
Registered
243 Posts
Madman

It really depends on what these people do with the money they get from such lawsuits. You can tell what kind of people your cousin's family are. Lets just hope these people who lost the little girl use ther compensation ( assuming that they will receive some kind of dollar amount) on something useful like boating safety issues rather than "getting rich" off such a tragedy. In the case of your family that is why we have lawyers, to pay for undo expenses, not to twist the laws so we don't have to work anymore. It's a shame we have lawyers who try to sue for such rediculous amounts just so they can get their percentage!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
good point. hopefully they will use the money in some way to support boating safety or anything related. i ddint really think of it like that. also, now that i think of it, i am not so sure that the victims are the ones asking for the $$$, in most cases ( from what i have heard ) the lawyers tell the families what they think they could get and go from there.

anyone seen the commercial with all the lures and what they pulled out ( fish wise) across the usa, they show a spinnerbait, and some other lures, but at the end it shows a big metal claw tied to a rope and says the claw thingy pulled out x amount of anglers from lakes across the us last year. good commercial, makes a great point. wear your vests. its the smart thing to do, but you all know that already.

madman himself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts