Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Life is too short to let too much pride get in the way!
Good example, just got off the phone with my mom....
The story goes like this: My mom and her cousin were like the bestest of friends growning up, and as life goes on, time and distasnce seprated them, they only talked a few times a year (over the past few years). Well my moms cousin had breast cancer about 10 years ago~ my mom pitched in alot at that time to help her out... she went into remission. last year the cancer came back- only this time it went into her bones and lungs and spine
.. During lst Christmas she asked my mom to come over any time (since it has been years since they have seen on another).. she wanted my mom to come over and make her a grilled cheese- the holiday slipped away and my moms pride took over (i guess you can call it that).. you see my mom is overweight, she is so very self concious about it and thought if she went to see her cousin Renee, renee would look at her with disgust. Now keep in mind my mom is pry oen of the kindest hearted, nicest people you will ever meet- So time kept slipping away and my mom sent her gift baskets and such- but never went to see her.... WELL, she passed away this morning- NOW my mom is sitting home in tears, wondering why she let her prde get in the way of someone in need- It is a feeling she said she will never get over.. and to top it off- the funeral is tomrrow and she will be unable to attend ( she just had surgery herself and can not leave the house).. LESSON LEARNED- If someone you know askes you to come over or needs you for anything... be there for them- dont let your daily activities, or pride get in the way- LIFE IS TOO SHORT- what may be not so important to you, may mean the world to someone else!!!!
Sorry this is so long.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Wow, Cyndi... tears...

I do feel bad for your mom; totally.

Pride is a funny thing, always feels right at the moment, but later it seemingly always feels merely stubborn intead.

I agree, if at all possible, your true friends are the ones who take the time for you because they honestly care...

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
MananaII, that gave me chills! Thank you for sharing!

It is what's in your heart, not what you look like. I feel bad for your Mom...she's going to hurt for a long time. I'm sure her cousin knows how much she was loved, though.

You and your family have my sympathy's, as well.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 4 2003, 02:25 PM)Wow, Cyndi... tears...

I do feel bad for your mom; totally.

Pride is a funny thing, always feels right at the moment, but later it seemingly always feels merely stubborn intead.

I agree, if at all possible, your true friends are the ones who take the time for you because they honestly care...
I have always been one to make time for my friends and family (at least i try)- I have told Manana a million times... life is too short- enjoy it- housework, chores and such can always be done at a later time- I guess you never know what kind of impact you make to someone just by being around them.
You are right Pauligan- it does feel right at the moment, but later down the road it come to bite you in the arse and the "Only If's" come out.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Follow up to the flip side of pride:

On those occassions when one does swallow their pride and approach a situation for the betterment of a bigger picture, it's unfortunate, sad and humbling to have that attempt belittled and viewed as unimportant or an annoyance.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Cindy I'm so sorry to hear about Renee and for the sadness your mom is going through.

Go be with your mom today if you can...give her hugs and lots of love!!

I used to be best friends with my cousin growing up too - and wouldn't ya know it life kind of got in the way. We went our seperate ways, then things got complicated with my family, and now we don't even talk at all. Makes me sad.....

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 4 2003, 10:38 AM)Follow up to the flip side of pride:

On those occassions when one does swallow their pride and approach a situation for the betterment of a bigger picture, it's unfortunate to have that attempt belittled and viewed as unimportant or an annoyance.
...but in the end, if you did the honorable thing you are truly the winner.

There's nothing like the feeling of knowing in your heart that you can forgive and forget and be truly happy for someone who may have hurt you deeply in the past. You can't buy that feeling from a book, store, or even numerous visits @ the shrink.

It IS the nature of your kindness, the BIGNESS of you. Some people just don't care - and look at what they have to contend with and live with. I feel bad for those peeps Pauline, and PROUD of you girl!!

**sending a BIG HUG to you**

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Sad story Cyn

I am so sorry!

I always believe it is best to swallow your pride and to forgive and to forget.

Bygones! Life is too short.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Jun 4 2003, 09:25 AM)I agree, if at all possible, your true friends are the ones who take the time for you because they honestly care...
divine words

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.