Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What do you think??

lets face it... life jackets do save lives, IF they are worn. Statistics show they do.

Just read this:

Boating accident statistics compiled by the U.S. Coast Guard indicate that 80 percent of the people who drown in a boating or water accident would be alive today if they had been wearing a personal flotation device, or a life jacket, at the time of the accident.

We really don't think twice about wearing a seat belt when we jump in a car, bikers wear helmuts ... why should boating be any different???.... just because there are jackets on board, it doesn't mean you can get to them in time.

With all the loss on the lakes as of late, (yes perhaps jackets wouldn't have mattered in some cases) but for the times they may, it seems silly for us all not to be pro-active and protect ourselves as best we can ... I'll be wearing mine, and have more than enough on board for everyone else too.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Aug 4 2003, 11:46 AM)What do you think??

lets face it... life jackets do save lives, IF they are worn. Statistics show they do.

Just read this:

Boating accident statistics compiled by the U.S. Coast Guard indicate that 80 percent of the people who drown in a boating or water accident would be alive today if they had been wearing a personal flotation device, or a life jacket, at the time of the accident.

We really don't think twice about wearing a seat belt when we jump in a car, bikers wear helmuts ... why should boating be any different???.... just because there are jackets on board, it doesn't mean you can get to them in time.

With all the loss on the lakes as of late, (yes perhaps jackets wouldn't have mattered in some cases) but for the times they may, it seems silly for us all not to be pro-active and protect ourselves as best we can ... I'll be wearing mine, and have more than enough on board for everyone else too.
On your boat..........ok
As a matter of fact, I was kinda excited when I heard you bought those kind of life jackets, as a matter of fact, some nice goggles and ear plugs would be a plus. Then I might not think of death quite so often!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.

One should use good judgement in deciding when they are needed and wear them then. They definetely are not needed all the time in all conditions.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Aug 4 2003, 04:47 PM)Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.
I sense sarcasm on a serious subject.....

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Boss @ Aug 4 2003, 05:51 PM)QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Aug 4 2003, 04:47 PM) Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.
just my personal preference...
and know that it isn't for everyone. More times than not have I been without one on the water, but realizing as of late that I'd rather be wearing one ...no matter how perfect the conditions are, at anytime, something could happen that is beyond my control...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Aug 4 2003, 06:12 PM)QUOTE(Boss @ Aug 4 2003, 05:51 PM) QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Aug 4 2003, 04:47 PM) Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.
and know that it isn't for everyone. More times than not have I been without one on the water, but realizing as of late that I'd rather be wearing one ...no matter how perfect the conditions are, at anytime, something could happen that is beyond my control...

going 95+ mph yes.

floating / putsing on a perfect clear day, with no boat traffic, very unlikely

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It's all about choice--and the freedom to make that choice. Helmuts and seat belts are the law in Michigan, and I have to wear'em. I don't have the freedom to make that decision. I do with life jackets. No doubt that you're safer with it on, but us boaters' can make that decision when we're out on the water. I treasure the ability to make my own judgement when it to my personal safety. It should stay a matter of choice for everyone.

If I was on a go fast like you, Cgirl, I'd be wearing one as well!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Aug 4 2003, 06:12 PM)QUOTE(Boss @ Aug 4 2003, 05:51 PM) QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Aug 4 2003, 04:47 PM) Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.

I wasn't talking about you......I was talking about what I quoted. I absolutely agree with you.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, I agree ... it is about choice....completely... thus the statement above regarding it being a personal decision... not going to get into the constituation or freedom of choice debate...
been there one too many times.... when it comes down to it... you, me .. we... are free to make a choice.

And yes, the boat that I run on and the way its is driven... warrants a jacket...always. Just trying to point out that no matter what kind of boat you have, or are on or who's on the lake, ... one just never knows... The accidents as of late and the hit and runs didn't all necessarily involve a go fast...

Perhaps (and this applies to more than just boating)... the choices we make in life may be different if we educate ourselves with something as simple as just the facts.... More times than none, jackets aren't worn for two reasons, 1. being comfort, the other being fear of ridicule.... none of which should be a reason not to have one on if there is a concern for your safety.

This thread was never about me or you or others to frown upon anyone for the choices that the make.. whatever choice it is..

But I'm sure we'd all agree that if a life was saved because a pfd was being warn, it was definitely worth the effort to attempt to persuade others to wear them too.... that's all its about....

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Boss @ Aug 4 2003, 08:04 PM)QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ Aug 4 2003, 06:12 PM) QUOTE(Boss @ Aug 4 2003, 05:51 PM) QUOTE(RyanMI25 @ Aug 4 2003, 04:47 PM) Next time it's a 100 out, I'm already sweating to death and I've got 4 more hours of motoring to go I'll run down and put mine on.

I wasn't talking about you......I was talking about what I quoted. I absolutely agree with you.

I know...

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Good thread, C-Girl! If you can't wear it, at least have it ready to grab in your cockpit. Really, they need to be worn to work

·
Registered
39 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 4 2003, 08:13 PM)If you can't wear it, at least have it ready to grab in your cockpit. Really, they need to be worn to work

We're talking about lifejackets, not condoms.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(justme @ Aug 4 2003, 08:39 PM)QUOTE(threecrabs @ Aug 4 2003, 08:13 PM) If you can't wear it, at least have it ready to grab in your cockpit. Really, they need to be worn to work

We're talking about lifejackets, not condoms.

but if we were talking about condoms... just exercise the constituational right to freedom of choice ... and have him pull and pray!! ... ooops, did I say pray???... how 'bout just pull ...

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Pray or spray?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts