Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Is the only place to stay, the Lexington Harbor? How is the depth coming in?

What is there to do, and how close to the marina? Should we bring bikes?

Are there any no wake zones I have to worry about on the St. Clair River?

Also about how long of a drive from Swan Creek Harbor is it, cruising about 20mph?

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I'm sure you have already looked <here>, but in case you haven't, now you can.

Sounds like bikes would be a good idea.

Can't offer much, as I have never been there for more than day visits by car, and a short visit by boat last year. I puttered in and out of the marina last year, and it wasn't very deep at the entrance (sandy bottom). However, there are plenty of larger boats there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as wakes on the river, I don't think you'll find anything surprising.

I'm sure others can offer better info...

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Also about how long of a drive from Swan Creek Harbor is it, cruising about 20mph?

Thanks,

Will

Great trip to take, we went earlier this year. water is plenty deep all the way up just stay about 1 mile off shore. Coming into the harbor it is shallow to your starboard side make sure you stay port. Had a blast have a couple of nice bars within walking distance nice little down town. the only place to stay is at the main harbor. Beach is right next to the harbor. have fun.

PS no wake zones in the river just watch your gps around the city of st clair (sand bar) but it is marked well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Away Point @ Jul 23 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sure you have already looked <here>, but in case you haven't, now you can.

LOL yeah I saw that site the other day, pretty informative, it looks like it should be a nice place to visit.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Thanks,

Will

Great trip to take, we went earlier this year. water is plenty deep all the way up just stay about 1 mile off shore. Coming into the harbor it is shallow to your starboard side make sure you stay port. Had a blast have a couple of nice bars within walking distance nice little down town. the only place to stay is at the main harbor. Beach is right next to the harbor. have fun.

PS no wake zones in the river just watch your gps around the city of st clair (sand bar) but it is marked well.

Thanks Sea Bag, can you remember about how long of a drive it was? Do you think it would be a bad idea to just cruise along at 10mph up the river to save on gas?

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Thanks,

Will

Thanks Sea Bag, can you remember about how long of a drive it was? Do you think it would be a bad idea to just cruise along at 10mph up the river to save on gas?

It took me about 3 hours total - we ran at about 25 knots all the way up the river and did maybe 10 knots once we got to the lake waves were 5-7 ft so we had to slow real down
its up to you on your speed we have a 28 ft 9.6 beam with twin 4.3l engines and we burnt about 90 gallons there and back

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Thanks,

Will

Oh i forgot we are out of beacon cove. Another nice trip is to grand bend. we are doing that next weekend.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 24 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Thanks,

Will

Oh i forgot we are out of beacon cove. Another nice trip is to grand bend. we are doing that next weekend.

Yeah I thought about that, but I have a DUI from 7 years ago, and my temporary resident permit expires on August 8th. So I don't want to deal with going all the way there, and then having customs tell me I can't stay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 24 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Sea Bag @ Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Snkbyte @ Jul 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So I'm thinking of taking a trip up there the second week of August, and I have a few questions:

Thanks,

Will

It took me about 3 hours total - we ran at about 25 knots all the way up the river and did maybe 10 knots once we got to the lake waves were 5-7 ft so we had to slow real down
its up to you on your speed we have a 28 ft 9.6 beam with twin 4.3l engines and we burnt about 90 gallons there and back

That's not so bad. Do you remember how many miles it was from Beacon Cove? I'm in Anchor Bay, and will probably have about the same distance as yours.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
A bunch of us LSCN'ers are heading up August 28th for the Buffett themed weekend. I have never been there by boat. I am reallt looking forward to this trip. If you can wait for this weekend, make the trip up with us....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Convincor @ Jul 24 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A bunch of us LSCN'ers are heading up August 28th for the Buffett themed weekend. I have never been there by boat. I am reallt looking forward to this trip. If you can wait for this weekend, make the trip up with us....

I would love to, but I leave for Portugal August 23rd. Next season I would like to make some trips with some of the gang on here.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
There is a private marina right next to the State, I'm pretty sure they have transient.

Great place, we went a couple years ago during the week and still alot of things going on. Great beach and we dinghyed around and even pulled the kid on the tube.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
we will be going to lexington in august for a weekend....I just can't recall which weekend it is !
Heard Lexington is well worth the trip from alot of different peeps.
Good Luck !

·
Registered
684 Posts
Great trip, we went last year and will be going either the weekend of August 22nd or August 29th this year. Everything was pretty well covered in this thread. I think it took us about 2.5 hours from the Clinton River cruising about 25-27 the whole way. Stay about a mile off shore to avoid sand bars in Lake Huron as others mentioned, and hook in and stay to the left as you enter Lexington harbor, the harbor master will almost surely remind you of this as well. It is really not as tricky as it sounds, you can see the sandbar on google earth. Just treat the outer break wall as if it extends another 100 yds further to the south than what you see and you will miss the sand bar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(thos1971 @ Jul 25 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great trip, we went last year and will be going either the weekend of August 22nd or August 29th this year. Everything was pretty well covered in this thread. I think it took us about 2.5 hours from the Clinton River cruising about 25-27 the whole way. Stay about a mile off shore to avoid sand bars in Lake Huron as others mentioned, and hook in and stay to the left as you enter Lexington harbor, the harbor master will almost surely remind you of this as well. It is really not as tricky as it sounds, you can see the sandbar on google earth. Just treat the outer break wall as if it extends another 100 yds further to the south than what you see and you will miss the sand bar.

Great thanks for the map, that helps a lot.

Do they have showers at the marina?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts