Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an article on life jackets. Says a federal law was just past in December stating that all children under 13 must wear a life jacket while the boat is underway.

Wasn't that Michigan law anyway? (I can't find my regulation book from last year).

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I think so.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
yes, as already stated....they don't realize how big 12-13 year olds are....i have to put a adult ski vest on my 12 yr. old. I would like a safer jacket for her, but it would be bulky and hot.....i guess they need some new life jackets for these small adults!

·
Registered
954 Posts
You are all correct it a FEDERAL LAW, Local law is 6 and under. That is what is enforeced on the great lakes. But I agree on Go- fast being a must (but not a law). My 14 and 16 year old bitch but wear theirs while we are on plane. If in a no wake zone I let them task them off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So, if the law was previously 6 and under? Now it is: any child under 13 has to wear L -Jacket when under way.
That information was in PowerBoat mag, so we should all check with local authorities to verify.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the exact article word for word from Powerboat Magazine March 2003.
"Mandatory Life Jackets for Children
Life jackets for children are now standard equpment for people who boat in several states. A federal law went into effect in late December that requires all children under age 13 to wear a life jacket when on a boat. The United States Coast Guard proposed the las in an effort to reduce the number of drowning related deaths of children on boats.

The law affects several states that did not have regulations on children's use of life jackets. States that already have age requirements are not affected by the new law, even if it is less stringent.

According to the Coast Guard, there were 210 children who died between 1995 - 2001 in boating-related accidents. About 120 of those children died from drowning.

Under the new regulation, kids must wear a Coast Guard approved life jacket while the boat is underway."

·
Registered
954 Posts
That is correct, Michigan Law is 6 and under. That Federal law only applies to states without a law on the books.

·
Registered
26 Posts
our kids 10 & 12 wear their jackets all the time without complaint. They have the same as us which are the ones that automatically inflate when they get in the water, they're really quite comfortable and not hot at all.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Raypanic @ Mar 25 2003, 03:30 PM)our kids 10 & 12 wear their jackets all the time without complaint. They have the same as us which are the ones that automatically inflate when they get in the water, they're really quite comfortable and not hot at all.
That is a option for us this year.........They are expensive, but we will still need something else. What happens when these get wet from rain? poof??

·
Registered
26 Posts
they aren't cheap but you only have to buy them once, if they go off you can get them recharged. It's worth it for them to be comfortable. We are in a go-fast so I make sure they always have them on. I think they have to get soaked with water before they inflate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts