Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read various articles on line type for crankbaits/lipless crankbaits. I've read everything from stretch to no stretch and the reasons why. I like to use stretch for shallower cranks/lipless cranks and semi-stretch for deeper cranks/lipless cranks. What does everybody else prefer and why?? I remember last year in the State Championship I was fishing (backseater) with a guy that was using fireline for cranks. This really threw me for a loop. That's also what brought up this question.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I struggle with the same question every year...each year I try something new, and each year I go back to Trilene XT 10, 12 or 14 pound depending on depth. For me, it's a confidence thing...

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I'm the same way each year I try something new but I always go back to Trilene XL as I like the limpness of it over XT. XL does have more strech than XT but I like the way it lays on the reel. Also I feel you get better lure action. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
All i use is FIRELINE really, and here's why i say it takes skill level with fireline, you get instant hooksets, and some don't like not having stretch because fish rip off from no rubberband stretch. With skill level i mean you have to set the drag just a bit now that's just a bit looser. Also you have to know when to go with the fish meaning pointing the rod at the fish as it peels line. I like fireline because all fish feel bigger and they do. Now that's with a stiff rod. Not ugly sticks. Also fireline is just plain tough. So in to sum it up. I like fireline because it makes all fish feel bigger because there is no stretch to absorb the fight.

h2o<------never use's mono. that's just me....

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Come on H2o: You mean you use Fireline for all the fishing you do??? I assume that you fish for more than one species of fish. Even I as set in my ways as I am use more than one type of line. I have used Fireline and Whiplash and of the two I liked Whiplash the best it seemed softer to me. In fact I feel both of them are to soft. I like the smoother lines as I feel they go through the guides easier and you can get longer cast with them. and they have plenty of feel. Of course as you said this is me and that is you. Can you help me out this month??? Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I will call you today. Yes all i use is Fireline I've been using it since day one. I might try the whip lash this year. But I'm just so pro-fireline its the no stretch part of it that has me hooked. It's all the difference to me. I think i would give up fishing if all there was was mono. But that's me. It might sound rediculous, but we all have our ways for sure. I've never set the hook with fireline it's automatic and i would say i'm pretty used to that.

h2o<--- will call you today. whats a good time for you?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use Braided Lines only for Flipping. Last Year I used Triliene Big Game instead.
I use Trilene XL on all Crank and Spiner Bait rods.
I have been using it for 20 years.
For Tube Baits and Jigs I use P-Line or McCoy Mean Green for sensitivity.
Last year I tried Some of that SpiderLine XXX Super Mono and I was very impressed.
I will probably use it this year with my jerkbaits.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I used to use Trilene XL on for spinnerbiats and rattletraps. The reason was it absorbed some of the blow as smallies tend to hammer these baits hard and I usually fish these at a high rate of speed. The last thing you want to do is pull the bait or hooks out of the fishes mouth.

I never had a problem untill about 2 years ago. We were fishing with rattletraps and making long casts over a shallow flat. The fish would hit but I could not hook them. With the Trilene XL there was too much stetch in the line. I missed about a half-dozen fish before the bell finally went off in my head (slow learner
). I switched to a P-line and started hooking up. From that day forward I switched P-line Floroclear. I just tone back the hook and not rip the bait out of there mouth. My hook set with this line and these baits is not much. For the most part they hook themselves. I also use a fairly soft tipped rod which helps.

Since most of the time I'm making long casts with the these baits I think it is important to have a low stretch line in this situation. But I will switch to a line with more stretch if the situation calls for it. Say, pounding the bank with spinnerbait with short casts. It's all depends on what you are doing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i dont like stretch when fishing lipless cranks for one main reason.

i usually fish a rat l trap around a ton of weeds. i will let the bait cruise just above the weeds but always in contact with them. if i get hung up, i want to be able to rip the bait out easily. with a low stretch line the bait tends to stay hung up more, especially on longer casts.

madman himself

1 - 9 of 9 Posts