Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a suction cup line spooler from BPS. It was on sale for $6.99 so I couldn't go wrong. Other than the suction cup working for about 12 seconds, it works alright. Nothing a couple pieces of wood & a few screws can't take care of.

I just wondered if I should spool my spinning reels from this spooler or should I keep the spool flat on the ground like I always did before. Am I going to put too much twisted line on the reel if I spin it from the line spooler. I spooled up a bait casting reel yesterday & it seemed to work best with the winder horizontal as opposed to vertical like the box shows.

By the way, how much tension should I put on the spool when tightening it down? What is the right amount of pressure?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Just make sure the line goes onto the reels spool in the same direction it comes off of the line spool....as far as tension...it can never be too tight! (LOL!!
)....When I spool my reels I squeeze the line between my thumb and forefinger and make sure it goes on evenly and tight.......loose coils are the cause of many a backlash!!!

Hope this helps!
Mac

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Just to paraphrase what Mac said. Make sure your line comes off the spool counter clockwise when filling a spinning rod. This usually means label down (depends on the line).

·
Registered
61 Posts
The other day I seen a show on the outdoor life net. and one of the anglers had a unique way of getting rid of line twist, He spooled the reel like you normally would then he took a swivel tied it to the end of the line and hooked it to a fence then walked the line out once he got as far as he wanted to be or as much room as he had he pulled on the line to stretch it out and that took care of the tswist !

Just thought I would add my two cent$ !!!

Good fshn to yall .

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
The way I like to put line on open face is to throw the spool into the water and wind it on that way. Mac is right about the line between a finger and your thumb for tension. Bob

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Mar 13 2003, 05:35 PM)
The way I like to put line on open face is to throw the spool into the water and wind it on that way. Mac is right about the line between a finger and your thumb for tension. Bob

Just don't forget to tie it on your reel first!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
OK KEN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts