Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would appreciate any help if your knowledgeable. My 79 , 9.9 johnson kicker will start cold easily, but after a few minutes it slowly dies out. I rebuilt the carb, change the plugs, got a new fuel pump ($90)
. Check for spark on cranks and they seem good. I'm flustered. I think it's the power pack, another 90bucks, just wanted some input from other with experience.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Check the compression it sounds like you have low compression to me. the other option is the coil pack.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Could be a bad coil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
runs good cold, than runs bad, sounds like fuel/choke, or temp issue. If it sparks good cold, usually it will spark good warm. If its a spark issue, is there a timing adjustment on it? could be to advanced which would result in cold motor run good and warm is rough.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Instead of driving yourself nuts. take it in, Carls is a johnson repair shop on harper between 9 mile and 10 mile road. Have not been there latley, but they use to help me out a lot when i had my older outboard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
QUOTE(joemama @ Aug 13 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Instead of driving yourself nuts. take it in, Carls is a johnson repair shop on harper between 9 mile and 10 mile road. Have not been there latley, but they use to help me out a lot when i had my older outboard.

Carls is really busy, don't wait to long to drop it off there if you do, 2 week minimum, i have one of mine there now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I fixed it, yesterday in the tank it worked fine after the new fuel pump, but when I took it to the boat it stalled out. Today I discovered the pump was loose and gas was escaping from underneath. Once I tighted all the fuel lines and pump it ran for 20 minutes under load. We'll see I hope to go out fishing tonight. Thanks everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.