Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Age old debate. Personally I dont like to use em, I prefer plastics only. BUT I am not a walleye....

Do you most people use minnows? Have you ever tried just plastics?

It just seems to me that the jigging bite in that current is more of a reaction strike than anything. You are moving that jig pretty good up and down and the current is moving you pretty fast. Imagine a walleye sitting on the bottom, holding his/her position and then a jig bounced up and around them. Do they really have a chance to tell if there is a minnow there?

Just a question,....

Mini

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Mini,

I noticed yesterday that most of the baits I saw were tipped with plastic and a min. I talked
to a guy last year that said he fairs well every time out jigging and NEVER uses live bait, always
plastic. I think it's like anything else depends on the day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have used either a minnow OR plastic and done well in either case...but never used a minnow and plastic together. I have also found running harnesses in the lake that a plastic can produce as well as a live night crawler.

The hard part is convincing yourself that plastic is OK, at least me...I still "think" live bait should be better (I wouldn't want to eat plastic, why would the fish! lol)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I always use plastics with minnows early in the year, then switch to just plastic after about April 15th or so. Just my take. I have thought about going with just plastics all the time. Just don't have the confidence to do it.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Hard to beat a 4in. lively minnow, I bet most of the walleye's out there are caught on a walleye minnow they think there candy. As far as plastic's go, I use only tournament strength berkley power grubs. That smell helps. But I pinch the tail off. That's just me.

They hit on so many things, really so what ever works do it. Poe's crankbaits have got me many a limit.

h2o<----says don't forget the crawler.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I jig for them daily in the St. Clair River in Algonac and
I found the ultimate plastic bait that out-fishes live minnows consistantly.
It's made by Bass Assasin and it's the 4" albino shad.
Use that with a 3/4oz white jig with a trebble stinger.
I was buying up all the 10-count bags I could find then I just bought a gross of em from their web sight.
These things are the greatest!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have heard that if there is no succes with minnows then your sure to score with plastic and vise versa,, have always done well with big i mean big shinners,, if they are going to move they want it to worth ther while, vertical is a must 2 to 6 inches of the bottom just a bounce it away keep it in the strike zone, and keep feel with the jig dont let your line slack on the way down,,,, 50 50 they hit on the way down.................... soon real real soon Walleye on the grill with green peppers potatoes onion,,,, and it might sound all wrong but while in the foil pour a little guines over it and let it simmer man dam cant wait for the next couple weekends......... good luck to all

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I use plastic 90% of the time. Ususally a minnow such as Spur has posted. I will out fish whomever I have in the boat with plastics while they use live minnows. Sometimes I will add a minnow for scent. Last year I had success with a plastic minnow and added a small yellow curly tail with it. More for attraction than anything. Seemed to work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Finally proved to myself that I could get them on 100% plastic a few years ago, and that is my first option. Most of the people I take out with me still use live bait; if they catch the first couple of fish on a given trip, I'll start tipping myself.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Guess I`m the out cast of the group. I still use stick baits and short whippin sticks with a 3-way swivel. Anochor up,sit back, slide on a rogue,and let the games begin...
I find myself keeping candis to the music on the radio with the no pressure fishing........just relaxing. that is untill we get doubles on,then it`s fun crossin lines.... the old fire drill routine.
Thanks for the hint for the jiggin rod.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am about 98% plastic only. There are times that i use a piece of "scrap" worm (half bitten off or other pieces) from my live bait fishing buddy on a plastic if he is catching a few more fish on the worms. However, those days are rare.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it is ALOT different, so far, than I thought it would be. I figured everyone was using livebait......

I used to until a few years ago while fishing with Darren Lear in the river.....he wouldnt even let me put minnows in the boat! Now I dont get down there much, but when I do, I use only plastics.

Mini

1 - 12 of 12 Posts