Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I own a 1994 Searay 220BR signature series.

I've noticed my depth finder acting up lately. It will be functioning fine then all the sudden depth readings will go haywire. For example depth readings 10.1,10.1,10.2, then all the sudden 432, 576, 901, etc..

I figured the electronic head of my Lowrance model 3500 depth finder is fine. I'm thinking the transducer may be problematic. I'd like to check connections and look at the physical well being of the transducer but have no idea where it is located, nor what it looks like.

Anyone ever hear of a similar problem?

Anyone know where to find the transducer?

Anyone know what to look for?

Also, Boat US told me that I cannot find a new transducer for the Lowrance 3500 anymore. They offered to sell me a new depth finder for $160. I went to Lowrances web site and it appears the 3500 is still a current model. I HAVE to be able to buy a new transducer if mine is bad.

Where could I find a new transducer if i need one?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Gerb

·
Registered
685 Posts
Ask the guys down at Colony Marine. Just stop by the parts department, and I think you'll find them very helpful.

In all likelihood, you have an inboard, shoot-through-the-hull transducer, as opposed to an outboard model. If so, you'll see something attached to the inside bottom of your boat that's not a pump, and probably in the area of the engine or just in front of it.

I'd just ask the folks at Colony.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Hi,
I replaced the transducer on my 1996 210 SeaRay
2 years ago. Getting the old one out takes alot of
muscle. You basically have to use a hammer and break
it out. The replacement transducer needed a larger hole
drilled.

I also suggest Colony Marine in Algonac for the part
and the replacment.

Matt

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jefff and TCQ,

Thanks for the input. I agree about Colony Marine. I have a lot of respect for them. However, before I drop the boat off to them to take a look at this I'd like to see what's up with it myself. It's much easier on the pocket book and I like to know my boat as much as possible. Who knows, if this is not too much of a hassle I might attempt a repair and/or replacement myself. I'm mechanically and electrically inclined.

1st step I guess would be to check the condition of the transducer and harnessing.

TCQ, you mentioned you had to break your transducer out. How was it secured to the hull, bolted in too tight of confines or adhesive?

Oh, and where did you find it? I have a good suspicion where mine might be but haven't had a chance to get out to the boat to look.

Thanks,

Gerb

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
It goes in from the bottom. A mechanic friend helped me.

This Link gives you an idea what you're replacing.

There is a threaded ring that holds it in place along with
some caulk. (Rule 5200 I believe)

I laid under the boat and hit it with a hammer breaking the
seal and outer lip. The transducer then pushes up inside
the boat.

It was located on the starboard side near the transom near
the v of the bottom.

I was afraid at first to hit so hard but the mechanic assured
me that is how to do it.

Do not take my advice only. Talk to a mechanic.

Matt

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm,

I peeked under my boat last night while at the storage lot. I did not see anything poking through the hull (sensor head, etc...).

It looks like the head of your transducer actually sits in the water and the body passes through the hull.

I might have a transducer designed to sense depth through the fiberglass hull itself. It probably mounts on the inside surface within the bilg compartment.

Thanks for the explaination.

Gerb.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(Gerbermultit00l @ Aug 11 2004, 01:07 PM)Hmmm,

I peeked under my boat last night while at the storage lot. I did not see anything poking through the hull (sensor head, etc...).

It looks like the head of your transducer actually sits in the water and the body passes through the hull.

I might have a transducer designed to sense depth through the fiberglass hull itself. It probably mounts on the inside surface within the bilg compartment.

Thanks for the explaination.

Gerb.
Some transducers are mounted on a bracket to the transom below the waterline. In the same general area as the speedometer pickup.

Do you know if yours was a factory install or aftermarket?

According to Lowrance's web page your gauge ships with this HS-WS transom mounted transducer. Click these links.

http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/3500.asp

http://www.lowrance.com/Accessories/search...Transducers+20°

If it was a factory install they mat have used something different.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe it was a factory install. I purchased the boat from the original owner who owned it 9 years. The boat sat in dry dock for 7 of those. He kept receipts for EVERYTHING and I don't remember seeing him add accessories.

Colony marine said it looks like a hockey puck and sits right under the engine.

Gerb

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tango,

I store the boat at a storage facility off Dequidre in Warren.

Gerb

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, here is the scoop.

I checked the transducer out on Saturday. I found it broke completely free from the epoxy bonding it to the hull. It was just tumbling around the bilge compartment. The epoxy was still hanging on tight to the hull though.

The previous owner had a problem with a fluid leak before I purchased the boat. He had this fixed but there was still a light film of fluid at the bottom of the bilg where the transducer mounts. I'm thinking maybe the fluid attacked the epoxy bond holding the transducer?

Anyway, I cleaned the bilg and transducer face off real good. I used WD40 then rubbing alcohol (all I had on hand) to break down the oil and mop it up.

I then mixed up a batch of JB Weld and spread a thin layer over the old epoxy outline (it still had a shape that contoured around the transducer and held it in place. I spread the JB Weld evenly as to avoid creating any air pockets between the transducer and old layer of epoxy. I let this dry over night.

I checked it Sunday morning before heading to the moot. The transducer seems to be bonded pretty tight again. The depth sounder appears to function properly out on the water now. Although I have no accurate way to check its accuracy, it appears to be pretty close. It told me the water in the moot was very shallow

Also, it appears that it can lock onto the depth better now. Before it would flash often not being able to lock on.

Problem solved? I either did good or could have screwed something up. Your opinions?

Gerb.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Sounds like you did good to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts