Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought an outboard off CL, its a mid 80's 15hp johnson. my question is: does anyone know where the Tag is that has the model numbers? i looked and looked but didnt tear anything out to find it. id just like to know for sshhiittss and giggles and incase i ever need something, ill order the right parts.

nice motor for $300, only problem thus far is the recoil spring has sprung, just needs to be hooked back up. im assuming this might happen when the cord is pulled all the way out. this is a problem i had with Rc car pull starts. with shorter pulls, i never had a problem, but with Rc's, theres so many alternatives to get it started, i just took them off anyways.

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
hey pat, the tag for the # should be right on the bracket that attaches to the transom, thats where mine is at least. Mine was on the R side of the transom mount. Should be J15elco..or somethin similar. J=johnson 15=hp el=electric start co=year (somethin like that). My johnson's tag is J40elco...which translates to 1985 Johnson 40hp electric start. Good luck. If you need any parts for that baby, Carls Boats and Motors out in SCS is proly your best bet...however Rose Marine in Fair Haven is also a good alternative...a little pricey, but might have whatcha need w/out the long ride to SCS.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jay, ill be looking in a few minutes. the guy i got it from had some bad eye sight and was pointing at everything but the tag, thinking it was the tag, lol last thing he pointed at was the carrying handle and said "thats it" i said no thats a handle lol

and thanks for the tip on carls and rose marine!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, i found where the tag USE to be, now its just 2 screw holes. SSHIITTYY, any other way to know?

and how do you know its an 85?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
mine is an 85...i just used my serial for an example for urs... Yours could be J15xxyy..where xx = electric or manual start and yy = year. Mine was co = 85. Im sure if you took it to either place (Carls or Rose) they could tell by looking at it...or maybe even some could identify it with a picture. Good luck on finding it bro

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I thought there was another tag under the cowling near the carb. I have a 9.9 but can't remember since I haven't had it off in a while

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks larson...... i called Carls about a new recoil and the lady told me about that other spot(freeze plug), so........mine is a 1975 johnson 15hp.

called around pricing new springs: Carls wants 35 bux, Jet Craft 29.51 and Richards Auto Parts $20 LOL

but after sayin ok, go ahead and order it.... i took the spring out and undid the whole thing, then all of sudden, it just pops right into place. LOL thats my luck.

still havent got it started, its getting spark from both plugs, i dont think its getting the fuel though. i cant smell it anyways, usually you can atleast smell a linger of gas. but since im sweating like a pig, im taking a break and ill be out there again later.

thanks guys, i appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Berroughs @ Aug 19 2009, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SShittYY, will you be the next one need kicker help? I have a manual on cd for that motor. If you need help I could copy it for you. Also check this site out has a ton of info for johnson outboards 9.9 15 horse.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Ramblings.html
Just scroll down its near the bottom.

holy crap, really? thats awesome!!!!
if it still applies to mid 70's motors, then definitely. hell, id take it just for the info.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went to Richards to pick up the new spring, but they looked up the wrong one, lucky me cuz i dont need it quite yet. im sure later down the road ill need it, but not yet.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
definately a fuel problem. its not getting any, i got it running for about 40 seconds on and off, spraying starting fluid and WD-40. small squirts would let it run for about4 seconds, then another little squirt.....so on and so on, sprayed the WD in there to help clean the carb maybe, and to add a little oil.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fuel pump? its a 15hp, i didnt think it had one. i was thinkin maybe the filter or the fuel line might be clogged up.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
very good info, thanks for that berroughs. im extremely happy that you posted that, whether or not thats the case, its something ill be checking into. i never thought about that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.