Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why this did not post the first time but I will try again.

I am looking into buying a more traditional set up after fifteen years of hunting with my compound. Don't know what it is about guns but I never seem to have that much success with them nor do I care for the brown down general attitude that goes along with the majority of hunters that are dedicated to that season. To each their own and it is legal so more power to them. That being said I have always enjoyed the unpressured deer along with the natural movements and actions of deer you get to see during bow season. I am primarily looking for a traditional bow to shoot in the league at gilberts, my shooting club. They have a traditional archery league that sounds like fun. In addition I would also like to be able to take it into the field a time or two during bow season for a doe hunt etc. My compound will still be going on my bow trips to Kansas or any of my Michigan rut hunts but during the dead time of early bow season I would like the option of trying something a bit more challenging. I know very little about any traditional bows and wonder what you guys would recommend for these uses. Recurve or long bow? What weight? Fingers or a release? What brand and why? What is the main deifferences between a recurve and a long bow? All opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 17 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure why this did not post the first time but I will try again.

I am looking into buying a more traditional set up after fifteen years of hunting with my compound. Don't know what it is about guns but I never seem to have that much success with them nor do I care for the brown down general attitude that goes along with the majority of hunters that are dedicated to that season. To each their own and it is legal so more power to them. That being said I have always enjoyed the unpressured deer along with the natural movements and actions of deer you get to see during bow season. I am primarily looking for a traditional bow to shoot in the league at gilberts, my shooting club. They have a traditional archery league that sounds like fun. In addition I would also like to be able to take it into the field a time or two during bow season for a doe hunt etc. My compound will still be going on my bow trips to Kansas or any of my Michigan rut hunts but during the dead time of early bow season I would like the option of trying something a bit more challenging. I know very little about any traditional bows and wonder what you guys would recommend for these uses. Recurve or long bow? What weight? Fingers or a release? What brand and why? What is the main deifferences between a recurve and a long bow? All opinions are welcome.
I have settled on a longbow, although I have made and used both longbows and recurves, I prefer the versatility, and forgiveness, of the long bow. My optimum length is 64", and my draw weight is 57# at 26 1/2". I have used this setup to take deer, squirrels, wild turkey, porqupines and even flying pheasants and geese. There are so many variables, please research before you plunk down anywhere from $300-$900 for what you want. I still use my recurves for carp fishing in the spring, and when I hunted deer, I prefered using it in both the blind and tree stand. The shorter limbs do have a usefull purpose, but I have found the longbow to be more accurate, and a hell of alot more quiet.

I never favored heavy draws on a traditional bow, settling for teaching myself to get closer to game, instead of taking the longer shots. I shoot a very heavy arrow, and the kinetic energy of it is awesome. My laminated birch arrows, with 160 grain broadheads, weigh in at 604 grains. That's my deer arrows. My everything else arrows are either cedar, or carbon, and the tips change depending on the game I'm after. Since switching over from a bow with training wheels, I have only had one pass thru with my tradtional gear (that was on an 8 foot shot), but I have found that when the arrow stays in the deer, as it is running, the arrowhead is just cutting away at the inside.

Look into the Michigan tradtional bow hunting expo in Kalamazoo. It might be to late, but is usually held in January at their fairgrounds. There are hundreds of vendors there, and all of them will let you shoot all their products, and are full of copious amounts of information.

I could go on for quite a while. It took me about 10 years of constant practice, and ever changing ideas that I put into building my own to become happy with the results. And don't forget if your gonna do it, go all the way and go with wood arrows. It's even more satisfying when you make everything yourself.

Is there anything else you would like to know?
And by the way...Even though I have made my own bows, and killed lots of animals with them, my bow of choice to have in my hand now is my 64" longbow with 5 layers of bamboo, and as decoration there is juniper veneer under clear fiberglass on the face of the bow with a bacote riser, moose hide wrapped on the handle, and elk antler tips on the end of each limb. It's made by Howard Hill. I modeled my last bow after that one, and the shootability and accuracy of it is the same, but I just can not get the same beauty as the Howard Hill bows.

A couple websites to check out would be... Stickbow.com, and Tradgang.com

Just make sure to shoot alot of different ones before you settle on one. There are tons of different options, and all of them have a different feel.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. This brings me to my next question.....Anyone have used ones for sale? I would much rather practice/play with a used bow and get a feel for what I want by trila and error before dropping any real money on one.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've got to sgree with grapes on this one. Check with some of the archery shops around. They may have some you can try out.
Once you decide on a style and length you want, look into making your own also. To me that would be the ultimate thrill.
Is the deer in your avatar, the one you got this year?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Tony it sounds to me like you caught the same bug I caught. As if hunting with a compound wasn't enough to never make me wanna gun hunt, that rabbit hunt with a recurve was AWESOME!! The only thing i'd ever continue to hunt with a gun would be things that fly at this point.

I did some research on recurves last night, and they're not inexpensive by any means. Ebay was no help either, for the prices i saw on ebay for used bows was VERY close to that of new ones. Only advantage to ebay that I saw was the chance of getting my hands on a 50's or 60's era Bear Kodiak. New ones are pert near 500 bones.

Alas, I think my heart does belong to a Grizzly. Economical, reliable, and beautiful. Kinda like my 870 Super Mag.

Thanks for the links Mike. I gotta check those sites out too. Craig's list was just about no help. Maybe the spring would be a better time to check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a really nice Black Widow that I would part with. Not because I don't love it but because my hands are too arthritic to use it anymore and my son can't it use because he's left handed. It's 64" bow, 53# at 28". It is Autumn Gray. I have a nice leather case for it and a hard shipping tube too.Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Bob

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(uncle ducky @ Jan 18 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a really nice Black Widow that I would part with. Not because I don't love it but because my hands are too arthritic to use it anymore and my son can't it use because he's left handed. It's 64" bow, 53# at 28". It is Autumn Gray. I have a nice leather case for it and a hard shipping tube too.Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Bob

How much?

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jan 18 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(uncle ducky @ Jan 18 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a really nice Black Widow that I would part with. Not because I don't love it but because my hands are too arthritic to use it anymore and my son can't it use because he's left handed. It's 64" bow, 53# at 28". It is Autumn Gray. I have a nice leather case for it and a hard shipping tube too.Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Bob

How much?

HIJACKER, this is my thread and the used bow probing question was my idea.
Oh yea please PM me how much and when I can take a look.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Jan 18 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got to sgree with grapes on this one. Check with some of the archery shops around. They may have some you can try out.
Once you decide on a style and length you want, look into making your own also. To me that would be the ultimate thrill.
Is the deer in your avatar, the one you got this year?

I wish it was mine. It is some oakland county road kill from a few years ago. I made an avatar out of it since a buck like that was, and still is a goal of mine, has to be fair chase though. Since that time I have not been able to figure out how to reduce pixels etc. to make my pictures into avatars so I am stuck with that one. If anyone can do It for me I would be happy to email my Kansas 9 point to you for resizing and a new avatar.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I have a Bear Archery Company longbow I have haphazardly trying to sell for the last 7 years, It's documented to be from 1936 (because of the paper phanolic that was used), and in showroom condition. I have turned down $1400...it was hard as hell doing it, but I had to...I have my mind set on no less than $1500. If your looking for museum quality, not a shooter, here you go.
Cuisine Writing implement Dish Debrecener Lipstick

Amber Wood Plant Tints and shades Wood stain

Attachments

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jan 18 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Bear Archery Company longbow I have haphazardly trying to sell for the last 7 years, It's documented to be from 1936 (because of the paper phanolic that was used), and in showroom condition. I have turned down $1400...it was hard as hell doing it, but I had to...I have my mind set on no less than $1500. If your looking for museum quality, not a shooter, here you go.
View attachment 71066
View attachment 71065

Shooters only at this stage of the game for me. Although I am sure that is a beauty to the proper customer and well worth every penny.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 18 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jan 18 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(uncle ducky @ Jan 18 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a really nice Black Widow that I would part with. Not because I don't love it but because my hands are too arthritic to use it anymore and my son can't it use because he's left handed. It's 64" bow, 53# at 28". It is Autumn Gray. I have a nice leather case for it and a hard shipping tube too.Let me know if you'd like to see it.

Bob

How much?

HIJACKER, this is my thread and the used bow probing question was my idea.
Oh yea please PM me how much and when I can take a look.

Widow's are an awesome bow, just not very good to look at. To me they are ugly. To much grey and black. I love the look of real wood, and the beauty it beholds. Just my opinion, but like I said, they are an awesome bow to shoot.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 18 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jan 18 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a Bear Archery Company longbow I have haphazardly trying to sell for the last 7 years, It's documented to be from 1936 (because of the paper phanolic that was used), and in showroom condition. I have turned down $1400...it was hard as hell doing it, but I had to...I have my mind set on no less than $1500. If your looking for museum quality, not a shooter, here you go.
View attachment 71066
View attachment 71065

Shooters only at this stage of the game for me. Although I am sure that is a beauty to the proper customer and well worth every penny.

Like I said if the right one come along, then I'll part with it. Till then it's nice to pull out and look at, and wonder...Did "Papa Bear" ever hold this bow or shoot it?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There used to be a "traditional" archery shop in Fenton (IIRC) - went there once, they would let you shoot any bow in the place. Great folks - not sure if they're still around. As with most "revisited" or "vintage" technologies - the prices are reflected in the low volume (handmade) nature of the product.
There were a lot of decent production recurves around in the '70's (from Bear, Darton, Pearson). I still have my Ben Pearson hunting takedown recurve from 1979 - actually hunted with it until the late '90's (sorry - not parting with it either). I used to see bows of that vintage (mostly Bear) at hunting equipment swap meets (like Pte. Mouillee show - www.miwaterfowlfest.org/).
If you're considering a vintage bow just be mindful of the condition of the limbs (especially at the attachment points on takedowns). Failures in the fiberglass (and even wooden) limbs weren't uncommon in those days (they would split on the takedowns) and a bow left in someone's garage, barn, cottage or attic for 20+ years may not be safe when stressed to its full draw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.