Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be fishing in the Alpena area all of next week. I have already posted a question about Thunder Bay fishing and had several great replies, and now I'm looking for information on long lake. The one in Alpena, not Hale or Hillman. I know this is a good lake for the smallies but have never fished it. Any information that will get me more familiar with the lake and eliminate search time would be great (yes I have a map). I am assuming the fish will be in a summer pattern by now and am hoping they will be active. If anyone has experience on this lake and wants to share info such as; areas with the best structure and cover, the top water bite, the crankbait bite, spinnerbait bite, tube bite, etc….and any favored colors, I would appreciate it. I know all of these techniques can be good at times but some lakes are known for being better with one verse another. If you want to send me a PM and disclose some real good info I have no problem with that either
. I will certainly return the favor on any lake I am familiar with. Thanks in advance.

Marcus
([email protected])

·
Registered
790 Posts
I do not have any information worth giving as far as fishing as I have never found the fish to any extent on Long Lake. However, I have found that the launch on the eastern side of the lake at the County Park is the best spot for launching (water depth). The DNR launch is very, very shallow and I found it quite difficult to get the boat off of the trailer.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
The guy you want to talk to is Madman from this board. I know he takes a trip up there every year and hammers them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
actually, we fish the long lake in hillman. i have a good friend who fishes the long lake in hale. unfortunatly i have never fished the long lake in alpena, nor do i know anyone who has. sorry bro, wish i could help you.

madman himself

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was just up there last week we fished whyna lake(seven mile pond) its just right around the corner off of long rapids rd. we did pretty good on the northern pike all keepers but one 12 " the rest where all between 24" 29" only a couple largemouth bass 1 small mouth but all where decent sizes. Weather was windy all over the area that week too .Its probbly pretty decent right now GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
71 Posts
We fished Long Lake a couple of years ago in early June but we had horrible luck.
I think between 5 guys, we caught 1 perch and a couple of rock bass in a whole day's fishing. Well almost a full day...minus the lunch break and beer run. If you're out that way, you might want to think about fishing Fletcher's Pond. We never made it out there but I've always heard good things about it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
well, Alpena is actually my home town. but i found over the years that the river just below 4 mile dam yields better results than long lake.

Long lake is a very clear, rocky lake with little weed growth, so find weeds. fish it alot like you would Lake st. clair, tubes spinnerbaits and topwater, i usually used crawfish colors. and you have to watch out for man made reefs of rock, there are a few that will seriously mess up a lower unit if your not careful.

also, theres alot of fish caught in East bay, but i always did my best around points near weeds.

good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
also, be prepared to lose alot of tubes, cause the rocks have a tendency to swallow them.

if you have any questions about the lake, or area in general, ask away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Herefishy, I was thinking of trying lake winyah but I couldn't find much info on it. Can you run fast around the lake or is it too stumpy and/or shallow. Pencilpusher, I will definitely be fishing fletchers pond some. I have fished that lake many years and love it. Indish, The area below the 4-mile dam that you mention, can it be fished from a bass boat? If so, then I would love some info on that stretch of river. Also, have you had any luck on lake Huron in that area. We will be staying right on the water.

Thanks, Marcus

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah that stretch of the river can be fished with a bassboat, i've had my tracker up there hundreds of times, and we've have a few big glass boats up there also.

theres a launch on 11th street between washington and park st/ripley. launch there and run upstream, beware, it's all no wake until you hit a bridge, then you can run. go all the way up till you see a big wanna be log house on the right, thats where it starts geting shallow, start fishing. grubs work well, pop tops, soft jerkbaits, and shallow crankbaits. during the day, the fish usually locate near banks or in the weeds, in the evening fish the flats in the middle with top water.

as far as huron goes, i've fished it a couple times and never faired too well,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Marcus: There is alot of stumps in the lake but if you know where the channel is you could follow that around the whole lake. The weeds are starting to pop up so they normaly mark the channel .Closer to the dam its alot deeper so there wont be a problem down there. Theres a nice stump field on the south east part of the lake that is really good for bass and pike. The walleys i normaly fish the channels in the center of the lake. I also catch alot of the bigger pike there to. Any more questions just asked i fished this lake for a couple of years now it can be a pretty good lake to fish. good luck and be carefull untill you know the lake

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone. Indish, is there a map available for that stretch of river? I am definitely going to give that area a try since it is the closest to where we are staying. Is the bridge you are talking about at Bagley st? On mapquest it looks like that is the first road to cross the river.

Thanks, Marcus

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah it is bagley, i will send you an e-mail with a map I drew all over, it's a rough approximation, but it will work, the river isn't that big. i do need your e-mail address first though.

BTW, there is a possibility i might be fishing it on sunday.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope you get this in time to use the info Marcus. I would have replied earlier but I just got back today from a week long fishing trip, to Long Lake. I've fished the lake for three years now right around this time and next to LSC, it's the best smallmouth lake I've fished. Expect to catch anywhere from 10 to 25 bass on a good day with several exceeding 3lbs and approaching 4. Jerkbaits and topwaters in any style and color will work but I do best with a bone Pop-R and a red and white Bomber long-A. Don't worry about where to go, the whole lake is good but I've done my best work on the Eastern shore.

Now for the bad news. With all the wind and fronts the region has experienced lately, this years trip was way below average and it doesn't look any better for the near future. We averaged around a dozen bites per day (6-10am) with a few over 3lbs., but not up to par for that lake. Hope it turns on for you. Use the county park launch and look for the DNR boat, they're doing a fish survey and want your catch info. If the winds are too bad, hit Lake Esau off of Grand lake rd. near Grand Lake. It's around 200 acres but has plenty of big unmolested smallies. Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts