Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Planning on fishing Long Lake, just south of Traverse City. Has anyone fished it?, and if so could you help me out with some advise on baits and techniques and good areas to focus on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm After Smallmouth but anything that's biting is always good by me!

Regards,
BatteryMan

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(BatteryMan @ Sep 4 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm Planning on fishing Long Lake, just south of Traverse City. Has anyone fished it?, and if so could you help me out with some advise on baits and techniques and good areas to focus on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm After Smallmouth but anything that's biting is always good by me!

Regards,
BatteryMan

I spent a week there many years ago. There is a small channel we had to drag our rowboat thru to get into this isolated lake called Ruth. BIG pike in there. And lots of them too. We camped on Long Lake but Ruth is where I fished. Been wanting to go back in there for years. The lake was completely undeveloped back then. That was 45 years ago! If I were you I would inquire with the DNR about Ruth Lake. Sorry cant help you with Long lake.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have fished Long lake and Lake Leelanau once each last year. Both lakes only produced average (10 - 12") Largemouth for me. I found that rapala floating minnows, green mister twister jigs, and rubber bait on a carolina rig worked well. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck fishing and enjoy one of the nicest areas of Michigan.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I spend 1-2 weeks on the lake every year, some nice smallies but hard to catch. Water is very clear all summer long.
Typical smallie lures work, I mainly throw tubes and grubs with an occasional top water early morning and evening. There are weed beds sunken islands and plenty of structure to keep you busy. If the smallies are not cooperating you can go to Mickey Lake and catch Largemouth south end big weed bed worms and senkos work well there. There are some very big largemouth in Long also.
I have never been able to get to Ruth Lake.

Good luck and let us know how you do...

Here are some fish from Long Lake

Attachments

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My buddy Dale has lived on the lake for yrs. He slays the smallies and Walleye. Big eyes in there. He swears by 6lb sometimes even 4lb line no heavier than that. 8 inch plastic worms gulp being best carolina rigged. He says finesse is the ticket on the lake. Later..and good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ultraclear lake have fished it but not one of my favorites up there..They say that the lake produces alot of PIGS!!! though i've only found 2-4 lbers but that was during spawn.Never have fished it in the fall..I would guess dropshots!!DEEP!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Ruth is small shallow and weedy. But good to ice fish/spring time. If your not getting bit work the drop offs all around the island. You know what lure but the 1/8 oz jig and 3 inch Power Grub in pearl/white should do you good. Remember the island and work very very and more very slowly. 4lb. Crystal FireLine will server you well.

h2o

·
Registered
489 Posts
Of all the lakes up there, I would not pick Long as a favorite to fish. There are lots of smallies in there, but with the clear water, they are not easy to catch. There are alot of lakes within 30 miles of Long that are much better (and easier) to fish.

·
Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I fished it saturday from 645 to 1230. Managed 3 Smallies all about 2 to 2-1/2 lbs. Actually caught the nicest one on my first cast. I was still tied to the dock and made a cast to a weedbed near the small beach at nw corner. I ended locating weed beds and dropoffs and fished these areas pretty good. All 3 caught on white spinnerbait. Also fished the island areas with no takers. I think i should have tried the dropshot in deeper water if i would of had more time.

I also fished Big Platte Lake near Beulah this morning for about 4 hours. Another cysrtal clear, sandy lake! Lots of fish jumping in the morning but i couldnt get one on topwater. I managed to catch 4 Smallies and a big rock bass. Biggest smallie was a 4lber. All caught on same white spinnerbait. This lake had more weeds than Long Lake. I did see some big smallies cruising the 6-8 foot areas while i was heading back to the ramp. Wish i had more time to fish it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For Walleye, try leeches on slip bobbers at dawn and dusk over the weed beds around the islands. Also, Mickey Lake is through a narrow cut and it's really good bass fishing. Nice weed beds and a few large trees laying in the water. I've done the best with a wacky rigged watermelon pepper senko. Watch your depths though in the main lake, there's some mean sandbars coming off most of the islands. One minute you're in 15 feet, the next, 1 foot. Good luck.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts