Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know it's early but now that we have all seen/read about the direct effects of opening up the bass fishing during the prespawn-spawn on LSC, how many would vote to go back to the 'old' regs prior to legalizing IC&R (I question how many follow the immediate part of the regs) during April-May-June? I would really like to know how many blame the kills on the bacteria alone and not added stress from CPR? I'm willing to bet the F. colimnare bacteria has been in the waterway long before this season, I'm sure. Or how many blame the weather or other environmental anomalies? And just where is Dan Kimmel and the others who lobbied so hard to get the MDNR to heed their wishes? I'd love to hear their take on things. Who among us doesn't think this bass kill will happen again next Spring? Don't forget, there were probably a lot more dead bass than what was visible along specific spots of the lake's Western shore. And yes, I did fish 2-3 times each ICR season and caught my share of prespawn-spawning smallies. But I would gladly give up early (legal) smallie fishing if it means protecting what is surely one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the world. Just curious if we anglers are going to just sit and wait to see what happens next Spring, or the one after that.

I'd also like to see the state of MI or some governing body oversee the clubs/organizations that host bass tournaments and make sure that if they don't have adequate (we all know what that means) weigh and release procedures being performed, then penalize them or ban them from future use of the resource. But that's a whole other can of worms.

I am just sick and tired of people thinking they can use the natural resource with no ramifications or that "their" actions don't contribute to what could be a severe downfall of the smallie fishery, much like Michigan's economy. We need to think long term management or we're all going to regret possibly losing what we have.

Just my thoughts for a Sunday afternoon. I'd love to hear what others think about this.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I think everyone should just SHUT UP & FISH!

·
Registered
449 Posts
You CANNOT catch and release bass in Canada till the end of June.I saw a show once about targeting spawning smallmouth and the conclusion was if you jerk spawning bass of their beds and release them a ways off..well that aint good. You see all kinds of reports on this board catching big numbers of pre-spawn bass but when they leave the mile roads you just dont hear much about those brown fish. There is even a post the other day about where are the bass? Bottom line is after the spawn you gotta be a real knowledgable fisherman to catch these fish in any numbers on the US side. Yup you had a bad die off this spring and C&R certainly didnt help things. I would like to see the C&R season closed. I know I will get some heat for this view. But I dont care. Gotta be a whole lot better for the fish. If they close the C&R it will force some people to learn more about these fish and their habits. Then they will be able to catch these fish in the lake after the spawn.

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE(Shagnasty @ Jul 26 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 26 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think everyone should just SHUT UP & FISH! B)Well said

I agree and the South has done this for years and they have some great Bass fishing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I really don't think the Numbers on LSC are that far off......I caught 18.5lbs in a tournament last Sunday(Not a huge sack, but not bad) and alot of big sacks came out of LSC during the Stren....The BASS State fish off Tournament numbers weren't horrible when you consider the weather and the amount of fishing pressure the fish have seen the last 2 weeks....
Why would you throw Dan Kimmel's name to the wolves??...That guy works tirelessly behind the scenes to help to make Michigan a premier Bass State......
What about the Burt and Mullet Tournament where thousands of Bass are pulled off of their beds every spring during the BFL and other early spring tournaments???...I sure don't see that fishery declining.....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(HardCoreMuskieMan @ Jul 26 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You CANNOT catch and release bass in Canada till the end of June.I saw a show once about targeting spawning smallmouth and the conclusion was if you jerk spawning bass of their beds and release them a ways off..well that aint good. You see all kinds of reports on this board catching big numbers of pre-spawn bass but when they leave the mile roads you just dont hear much about those brown fish. There is even a post the other day about where are the bass? Bottom line is after the spawn you gotta be a real knowledgable fisherman to catch these fish in any numbers on the US side. Yup you had a bad die off this spring and C&R certainly didnt help things. I would like to see the C&R season closed. I know I will get some heat for this view. But I dont care. Gotta be a whole lot better for the fish. If they close the C&R it will force some people to learn more about these fish and their habits. Then they will be able to catch these fish in the lake after the spawn.

That is why it is "Catch and Immediate release" Check out Kim Stricker's video for a "Fish eyes view" of Catch and release during the spawn

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(fishindad @ Jul 26 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK, I know it's early but now that we have all seen/read about the direct effects of opening up the bass fishing during the prespawn-spawn on LSC, how many would vote to go back to the 'old' regs prior to legalizing IC&R (I question how many follow the immediate part of the regs) during April-May-June? I would really like to know how many blame the kills on the bacteria alone and not added stress from CPR? I'm willing to bet the F. colimnare bacteria has been in the waterway long before this season, I'm sure. Or how many blame the weather or other environmental anomalies? And just where is Dan Kimmel and the others who lobbied so hard to get the MDNR to heed their wishes? I'd love to hear their take on things. Who among us doesn't think this bass kill will happen again next Spring? Don't forget, there were probably a lot more dead bass than what was visible along specific spots of the lake's Western shore. And yes, I did fish 2-3 times each ICR season and caught my share of prespawn-spawning smallies. But I would gladly give up early (legal) smallie fishing if it means protecting what is surely one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the world. Just curious if we anglers are going to just sit and wait to see what happens next Spring, or the one after that.

I'd also like to see the state of MI or some governing body oversee the clubs/organizations that host bass tournaments and make sure that if they don't have adequate (we all know what that means) weigh and release procedures being performed, then penalize them or ban them from future use of the resource. But that's a whole other can of worms.

I am just sick and tired of people thinking they can use the natural resource with no ramifications or that "their" actions don't contribute to what could be a severe downfall of the smallie fishery, much like Michigan's economy. We need to think long term management or we're all going to regret possibly losing what we have.

Just my thoughts for a Sunday afternoon. I'd love to hear what others think about this.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
The CIR season was instated under a 5 year trial period. I can't remember how much time on that 5 years is left I would have to check the proposal report I got from the DNR a while back. After the 5 years is up a study will be done to see if there is a dramatic change in small mouth populations due to CIR. If not then CIR stays in place if there is the season will go back to the old regultions. If the study finds that there was a adverse effect on populations I would gladly go back to the old regulations. Protecting our fishery is way more important to me than potentialy doing harm to it. If it is found that CIR has effected the population of smallmouth I'll be the first to lobby to make sure it is changed back to old regs. Until then come opening day as it is now I'll be on the water

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have seen many dead smallmouths for many years during the spring. Going all the way back to the 80s. The DNR will tell you that many fish die during that time of the year. In my opinion a vast majority is NATURAL. With the Canadien side closed basically almost till July the populations won't be affected in the least.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Mike Thomas said it best.

A few thousand smallmouth are just a drop in the bucket.

There are MANY factors contributing to the seemingly smaller catch rates. Just because you dont see posts about catching them, doesnt mean that people arenet catching them. Dont forget the lack of reports about smallmouth are due largely to the season opening and tournament anglers not giving information. I am guilty of this....

This has been a strange year for weather patterns and I think that has more to do with it than anything else. The fish are still out there. I understand what you are saying, it is just too easy to point at the CIR season.....let the DNR do their job and we can enjoy ours.

I say we keep it as it is and if needed the MDNR will go back to the old ways.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 27 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mike Thomas said it best.

A few thousand smallmouth are just a drop in the bucket.

There are MANY factors contributing to the seemingly smaller catch rates. Just because you dont see posts about catching them, doesnt mean that people arenet catching them. Dont forget the lack of reports about smallmouth are due largely to the season opening and tournament anglers not giving information. I am guilty of this....

This has been a strange year for weather patterns and I think that has more to do with it than anything else. The fish are still out there. I understand what you are saying, it is just too easy to point at the CIR season.....let the DNR do their job and we can enjoy ours.

I say we keep it as it is and if needed the MDNR will go back to the old ways.

Well said! I enjoy going out with Mike and Jack, for the trap net survey. I assure you the Bass are fine, if you are not catching them, someone else is.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Yup, way to early to tell and there are too many possible causes to blame CIR.
Between the bacteria this year, VHS, the weather, normal spring die-off, spawning stress, there is just no way to say for sure.
Let the DNR do their studies and make the decision based on facts, not heresay or emotions.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The canadian laws really don't, or shouldn't draw comparisions here. First off the canadian fisherman don't fish in the numbers on this side of the dotted line. Just look at the number of trailers at their limited launches. very seldom full, that I see.
The canuck fisherman that I know, are moore interested in cacthing fish to bring home to the family.
I'm not saying bass aren't good to eat. So please don't go there. They wood just prefer walleye,perch or pike.
With the OPP. I would not want to be nailed for an unlawful catch and release violations.
We've had walleye, muskie, perch dieoffs for years, around here. Even Bass. Throw in the carp, catfish sheephead that die off, No-one gets upset over them. Why all of a sudden now?
I don't have the answers, don't proclaim to know it all either. But I do know that the Dnr has said it was a virus or bacteria thaat caused it. Did fish hooks create the virus, or bacteria? EAGLE CLAW FLU!
Lets call it that.
Far to many people geting their panties in a bunch lately.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just how many times is a few thousand fish a drop in the bucket until it is too many? How about all of this weeks Stren tourney bass. Were all of those fish returned to LSC? I doubt it.
How many were lost to improper care?

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Jul 27 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The CIR season was instated under a 5 year trial period. I can't remember how much time on that 5 years is left I would have to check the proposal report I got from the DNR a while back. After the 5 years is up a study will be done to see if there is a dramatic change in small mouth populations due to CIR. If not then CIR stays in place if there is the season will go back to the old regultions. If the study finds that there was a adverse effect on populations I would gladly go back to the old regulations. Protecting our fishery is way more important to me than potentialy doing harm to it. If it is found that CIR has effected the population of smallmouth I'll be the first to lobby to make sure it is changed back to old regs. Until then come opening day as it is now I'll be on the water

I cannot imagine any study looking at fish being taken off spawning beds could come out any way except: NO MORE jerking fish off their nests.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Woodfan @ Jul 27 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just how many times is a few thousand fish a drop in the bucket until it is too many? How about all of this weeks Stren tourney bass. Were all of those fish returned to LSC? I doubt it.
How many were lost to improper care?

I dont have the numbers handy but tournaments usually do an outstanding job of releasing fish. Most of the time is is in excess of 98% live release rate. Especially in the cooler water temps. All of the fish were released in the Detroit River and the fish are free to go wherever they want.

I do know that I have caught the same fish from two different tournaments off the same spot before. This was not a spawning tournament either....I do believe that the majority of fish find there way back to the lake they were caught from. If this was a problem, then we would have seen it many years ago. Tournaments have been going on this lake for quite some time now.

A few thousand really is a drop in the bucket. A couple of drops lost to disease happens. Maybe the lake was getting over crowded with bass (many many rants in recent years here about it)....nature has a funny way of taking care of itself.

And a pair of spawning bass...just two bass....are capable of replenishing many many times what was lost in a single spawn.

All of this talk is one thing, just talk. There is no scientific proof that the populatoin hasa decreased or that CIR had anything to do with this years bacteria kill.

I have heard that many other parts of the Great Lakes systems catches are seemingly down this year. Not only for bass but many other species as well.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
My thoughts are LEAVE THE BASS alone while the spawn. It does not make ANY sense to jeopardize the effects one can have with removing a spawning or nest-guarding bass. For me, the only reason we have a CIR is to bring more money into your local economy as early as possible, otherwise, WHY should catching spawning bass even be considered?

It's too easy to catch a bass of its bed and it's the only way someone around here is going to catch a 6-7lb Smallie <--that alone is another reason why they let it happen. It's a friggin popularity contest I tell ya.

I like CAN rules...we aren't greedy, we RESPECT the spawn, just like everyone does with Musky-->yet Musky get more respect? A fish is a fish, give them time to spawn the natural way with the natural effects affecting their nests and not with humans plucking them off and destroying half the nests out there.

There are a ton of smart-a$$ bass that spawn on the CAN shore every year for good reason

My .05cents

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.