Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Took the kids out fishing for the first time yesterday at my buddy's pond. Rigged up a couple of hula poppers on their poles, and lo and behold each one of them got a smallmouth. The fish proved no match for Ryan's awesome Spider-man rig, and Morgan's Hannah Montana special made those smallies cry "Oh Sweet Niblets" in record time!

Big grins and eyes like saucers (on the kids, not the fish) all the way around.

Please ignore my ugly mug in the pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Those are actually largemouth. The large black bar (stripe) on the side is a dead give away. Also the corner of the mouth when closed extends beyond the eye. On a smallmouth it ends in front of the eye.

Never the less, good job! Topwater fishing is fun....

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 29 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those are actually largemouth. The large black bar (stripe) on the side is a dead give away. Also the corner of the mouth when closed extends beyond the eye. On a smallmouth it ends in front of the eye.

Never the less, good job! Topwater fishing is fun....

Really? We stocked the pond, and I didn't thing he put any large mouth in there? Of course, I could be confuzzled - certainly would not be the first time!

I did get one really nice bluegill out of there, and a decent size bass to go with a bunch of 8 inchers. We've got at least one monster lunker down there that is eating all the smaller bass (and pretty much anything else he can get in his mouth). We've seen him, but can't get him on a line - yet...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Ponds can (and are) stocked by many things other than humans. Birds are extremely good at taking fish eggs from one pond to the next.....

...yet. I love it!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True - it was there before they moved in, so it's definitely possible. We've caught bass, bluegill, perch, and trout in that pond (no perch yet this year though). We put down a bunch of structure this past spring hoping to give the little guys a place to hide and grow. Next will be a floating dock and a little aluminum boat so we can fish the whole area of the pond.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Cool catches! Good job.

We've been fishing out of our canal and mainly catching lots of perch, sun fish, blue gill, and one smallmouth so far. Its not much of a challenge though - the minute you throw the hook and worm in, you usually catch something. I guess its not so much fun when you catch things "right away"...takes the suspense away!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts