Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I took a trip up to the attic today to hide one of my wifes final x-mas gifts and you'll never guess what I found. A Nils 8" hand auger hidden way in the back. Looks like she had the same hiding spot idea i did! I read some reviews online but I dont really trust them too much. Many manufatures just post their own reviews.

I wanted a Strike Master Lazer but who knows this one looks legit.

Has anyone used one of these? Also, need tips on how to look surprised when I open this up on Christmas morning!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Nils are supposed to be the best of the best. I'd have one but they're too expensive. You should definitely be happy with it. But you may want to take it back for a smaller size.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you can get a 5" or 6" without breaking her heart, do a swap. I have a 6" lazer and 99% of the time I wish I had a 5".

·
Registered
654 Posts
went from a 6 to a 5" lazer, man o man what a difference, i driill my holes quicker than those with power augers! i prefer the 5 cuz i move alot as needed. dont care to set up campsites, besides the 5 gets all species out the hole, no probs

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nils are supposed to be great from what I've heard. I have a 6" Lazer & love it. It cuts like it's going through butter.

BTW, as stated above a 5" or 6" would be better for a hand auger. An 8" will wear you out. My first hand auger was an 8" & I took it back after the first time using it. I was in my early 20's & in shape & it still wore me out.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Once you down size it, with the money you get back buy yourself a drill adapter and attach the auger to your 19.2 volt cordless drill. You will be able to carve through ice at about one inch per second. Sweet.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Speedytwo3 @ Dec 25 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the help gents.

I had to update everyone on the NILS now that I have been able to use it. And man am I bummed. Dont get me wrong out of the box that thing was sweet, but after about 35 holes it would just spin on the ice and I had to pressure the hell out of it to get it to bite.

I called NILS and the guy there told me that I must have hit a "bad spot" of ice or "bottomed it out". Well i was fishing in about 20 ft of water so I didnt bottom it out. He then goes on to inform me that the blades can be pretty sensitive and will need sharpening if these things happen. He then proceeded to tell me that if I wanted to get the blades resharpened I could mail them to Massachussetts!! Yeah right!

This is the best part, I then let him know that if the blades are that sensitive then I do not want the product. I, nor do most of us, have the time or the money to send blades over to the east coast to be sharpened because they are "sensitive" or "precise". He told me to go back to Cabelas because it is not a warrantable product. Thats right no warranty at all!

I am not pleaseed. I am taking this back and getting the Strikemaster Lazer like I had originally wanted.

·
Registered
214 Posts
QUOTE(Old Man of the Sea @ Dec 23 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Once you down size it, with the money you get back buy yourself a drill adapter and attach the auger to your 19.2 volt cordless drill. You will be able to carve through ice at about one inch per second. Sweet.

Jim

Does that really work? I have a Dewalt cordless that I love and would use it but it doesn't seem like it would work that good. I have the 6" lazer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
QUOTE(Cleetus94 @ Jan 6 2010, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Old Man of the Sea @ Dec 23 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Once you down size it, with the money you get back buy yourself a drill adapter and attach the auger to your 19.2 volt cordless drill. You will be able to carve through ice at about one inch per second. Sweet.

Jim

Does that really work? I have a Dewalt cordless that I love and would use it but it doesn't seem like it would work that good. I have the 6" lazer.

We got one about a year ago we drilled one hole and the adapter snapped. We were using a 18v Dewalt. I had my uncle machine me a steel one and it works great now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts